Brown sugar apple stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kypher

Reaction score
Hey I have never used brown sugar in any beers but I know it is used sometimes, and I'm curious. Here's a rough outline of what I'm thinking:

6# 2 row
1# dark grain (chocolate/black patent/whatever)
1# Carapils
Normal 3 part infusion mash to yield about 5 gallons.

In a separate pot bring to a boil somewhere around:

4# Brown sugar
5 or 6 Sliced apples
4 or 5 Small cinnamon sticks
A pinch of allspice
Around a gallon of water

Combine the two during the boil stage and only do a small amount, like maybe 1 oz of 5% hops for an hour. At flameout maybe use the rest of the hops and let them stew for 15 minutes or so (I would consider something else for bittering, just haven't come to any conclusions on what in particular).

Ferment with a middle of the road ale yeast, like s04, s05, 1332, etc. at the bottom end of the temp spectrum (66-68) until all the yeasties get drunk and stop. As this should have a ton of sugar still left, finish it with some champagne yeast to make sure we get a strongly alcoholic beer.

Throw it in a keg, then the fridge and forget about it until June or so.

Thoughts?

My brew buddy and I were thinking of something like this. Everyone's fall's seem to be pumpkin and spice and all things nice. Did you get a chance to try it and if so how did it turn out?

Everything sounds pretty good but I would point out a couple small details.

Brown sugar is just regular white sugar, with molasses, so your better off to add just molasses to get that flavor, the sugar will ferment first, and do so very quickly.

Pitch the proper healthy amount of yeast with good 02 and you shouldn't have a stuck fermentation. If you do have a stuck fermentation, using rehydrated champagne yeast probably won't help. Instead try pitching a small amount of yeast at high krausen.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Back