brown malt vs victory for nutty taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderaxe

Reaction score
hi all,

i'm still trying to figure out how to get the maximum amount of "nutty" taste in my porter from the grain bill. i used about 7.5% victory malt in the last batch and i'm not sure it did the trick. i'm considering using brown malt in the next batch instead, and i'd love to hear some feedback about how these two compare in terms of imparting a "nutty" flavour into the beer, or any other suggestions for malts toward this purpose.

i'm already using marris otter as my base malt and about 7.5% munich so you needn't bring those up unless you think i should increase the amount

hi all,

i'm still trying to figure out how to get the maximum amount of "nutty" taste in my porter from the grain bill. i used about 7.5% victory malt in the last batch and i'm not sure it did the trick. i'm considering using brown malt in the next batch instead, and i'd love to hear some feedback about how these two compare in terms of imparting a "nutty" flavour into the beer, or any other suggestions for malts toward this purpose.

i'm already using marris otter as my base malt and about 7.5% munich so you needn't bring those up unless you think i should increase the amount
Brown malt should do the trick. I recently started playing with it. The stuff seems pretty potent. I used 12oz in a modified moose drool clone and I felt that is was maybe too nutty.

Brown malt is great, but I get coffee all day long from it and not much nutty character. Perhaps in small proportion with other crystal or malty grains like Munich, but not from the brown malt itself. To each his own!

Toast a pound of Maris Otter in your oven at 350 F for about 20 minutes. Turn any beer into peanut city. I have done this 3 or 4 times already, works like a charm.

To get a more of roasty/nutty flavor, I would roast victory malt for a bit. I usually put a pound or so in a pan and gently roast it over low heat till it gets a darker color of my liking.

Maybe try some diastic Amber malt - about the closest you can get to the way Brown malt was killed back in the day when it had diastic power.

My last batch was a kitchen Sink amber with both victory and brown malt, and I get licorice from it. Course, the C120 I added could also be the main culprit.

I like both, but neither to me taste nutty. I too get mild coffee from brown malt. I sort of get pine nuts from grain toasted in the oven.

My last batch was a kitchen Sink amber with both victory and brown malt, and I get licorice from it. Course, the C120 I added could also be the main culprit.
yeah, i really get licorice from c120, but it can also be due to tannins extracted in the mash or sparge.

I like both, but neither to me taste nutty. I too get mild coffee from brown malt. I sort of get pine nuts from grain toasted in the oven.
what about victory malt? or pale chocolate?
my last brew had both and on second taste it is actually very nutty. tryna figure out what is the main cause.

crisp floor malted barley (Gleneagles Maris Otter) give a bit of nutty flavor to me, same with Golden Naked Oats.
i also have 5% GNO in my recipe. considering upping that for more sweetness and body.

Brown malt is nice if used in moderation. I’ve recently used a good bit of it in a brown. Use it as a compliment to the other malts you have. I’ve found that it acts a lot like roasted barley in that it imparts a good bit of roast character. I think if used in conjunction with the other malts that you already have in your grain bill, it might do the trick.

I don't get nutty from brown malt either, more coffee. Victory to me is like dry toast. GNO on the other hand tastes like peanuts to me.

Brown malt should do the trick. I recently started playing with it. The stuff seems pretty potent. I used 12oz in a modified moose drool clone and I felt that is was maybe too nutty.
oHgd6X

Sorry, I couldn't stop from picturing this.

Attachments

• Nutty.jpg
    Nutty.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 58
did you find a 'nutty' combo ? working on a brown recipe myself but don't want roast or coffee flavors
I am gonna bottle a brown tomorrow, I can’t say for certain yet before conditioning is done, but I picked up a little nutty flavor in the samples I have taken. Used 5% brown and 3% pale chocolate, both from Crisp.

Back