Quantcast

brown malt vs victory for nutty taste?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

thunderaxe

Reaction score
hi all,

i'm still trying to figure out how to get the maximum amount of "nutty" taste in my porter from the grain bill. i used about 7.5% victory malt in the last batch and i'm not sure it did the trick. i'm considering using brown malt in the next batch instead, and i'd love to hear some feedback about how these two compare in terms of imparting a "nutty" flavour into the beer, or any other suggestions for malts toward this purpose.

i'm already using marris otter as my base malt and about 7.5% munich so you needn't bring those up unless you think i should increase the amount

blubrewbbq

Reaction score
hi all,

i'm still trying to figure out how to get the maximum amount of "nutty" taste in my porter from the grain bill. i used about 7.5% victory malt in the last batch and i'm not sure it did the trick. i'm considering using brown malt in the next batch instead, and i'd love to hear some feedback about how these two compare in terms of imparting a "nutty" flavour into the beer, or any other suggestions for malts toward this purpose.

i'm already using marris otter as my base malt and about 7.5% munich so you needn't bring those up unless you think i should increase the amount
Brown malt should do the trick. I recently started playing with it. The stuff seems pretty potent. I used 12oz in a modified moose drool clone and I felt that is was maybe too nutty.

McKnuckle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brown malt is great, but I get coffee all day long from it and not much nutty character. Perhaps in small proportion with other crystal or malty grains like Munich, but not from the brown malt itself. To each his own!

Gravity

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Toast a pound of Maris Otter in your oven at 350 F for about 20 minutes. Turn any beer into peanut city. I have done this 3 or 4 times already, works like a charm.
To get a more of roasty/nutty flavor, I would roast victory malt for a bit. I usually put a pound or so in a pan and gently roast it over low heat till it gets a darker color of my liking.

kevin58

Reaction score
Brown malt would certainly be historically accurate. Plenty of good suggestions given already. Take your pick.

HTH1975

Reaction score
Maybe try some diastic Amber malt - about the closest you can get to the way Brown malt was killed back in the day when it had diastic power.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My last batch was a kitchen Sink amber with both victory and brown malt, and I get licorice from it. Course, the C120 I added could also be the main culprit.

Gnomebrewer

Reaction score
I like both, but neither to me taste nutty. I too get mild coffee from brown malt. I sort of get pine nuts from grain toasted in the oven.

OP
thunderaxe

thunderaxe

Reaction score
My last batch was a kitchen Sink amber with both victory and brown malt, and I get licorice from it. Course, the C120 I added could also be the main culprit.
yeah, i really get licorice from c120, but it can also be due to tannins extracted in the mash or sparge.

OP
thunderaxe

thunderaxe

Reaction score
I like both, but neither to me taste nutty. I too get mild coffee from brown malt. I sort of get pine nuts from grain toasted in the oven.
what about victory malt? or pale chocolate?
my last brew had both and on second taste it is actually very nutty. tryna figure out what is the main cause.

OP
thunderaxe

thunderaxe

Reaction score
Maybe try some diastic Amber malt - about the closest you can get to the way Brown malt was killed back in the day when it had diastic power.
okay but is it nutty

Gnomebrewer

Reaction score
what about victory malt? or pale chocolate?
my last brew had both and on second taste it is actually very nutty. tryna figure out what is the main cause.
To me, biscuit dough off victory and smooth coffee/cocoa off pale choc malt. YMMV.

OP
thunderaxe

thunderaxe

Reaction score
crisp floor malted barley (Gleneagles Maris Otter) give a bit of nutty flavor to me, same with Golden Naked Oats.
i also have 5% GNO in my recipe. considering upping that for more sweetness and body.

Darthbrewder

Reaction score
Brown malt is nice if used in moderation. I’ve recently used a good bit of it in a brown. Use it as a compliment to the other malts you have. I’ve found that it acts a lot like roasted barley in that it imparts a good bit of roast character. I think if used in conjunction with the other malts that you already have in your grain bill, it might do the trick.

Miraculix

Reaction score
Brown always just gave me astringency and coffee. No nutty flavour at all.

chickypad

lupulin shift victim
Reaction score
I don't get nutty from brown malt either, more coffee. Victory to me is like dry toast. GNO on the other hand tastes like peanuts to me.

Quaker

Beer Missionary
Reaction score
Brown malt is great, but I get coffee all day long from it and not much nutty character. Perhaps in small proportion with other crystal or malty grains like Munich, but not from the brown malt itself. To each his own!
I second the coffee character of brown malt.