Brown malt in pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone's using brown malt in pale ale recipes. If you are, how much are you using and does it require extended aging? I recall attempting a Sam Smith India Ale clone a couple years ago using oven-toasted 2 Row in place of brown, and it was a tad acrid.

I was thinking of doing something like this:

85% 2 Row (or MO)
6% Brown
5% Wheat
4% C40

I might go domestic 2 Row with C-hops or Maris with EKG. Thanks in advance for your input!

are you using the brown malt for color and/or flavor? I think it will just be an amber ale with a bit of nutty character. Nothing wrong with it but I guess I just dont understand the issue

I'm using it for flavor and colour, going more for english style pale or ESB. At 6% I should be in range in terms of srm. Without the sweetness and deep colour I hesitate to call it amber, but perhaps I should knock it back to 4 or 5% or so?

I just made an attempt at an English style pale ale and used some brown malt. I also threw in 1 ounce of chocolate malt, so it might be just a tad too dark. When I bottled it, the flavor was good, but maybe should've left out the chocolate malt that gave a little roastiness. I used EKGs to really go for the English style.

I think the grain bill you have listed could be really great. You should definitely go for it.

I've been loving brown malt lately, so I'll definitely try it again in another pale ale. I'll try to remember to report back once that batch is carbed and let you know how it worked out.

I just made an attempt at an English style pale ale and used some brown malt. I also threw in 1 ounce of chocolate malt, so it might be just a tad too dark. When I bottled it, the flavor was good, but maybe should've left out the chocolate malt that gave a little roastiness. I used EKGs to really go for the English style.

I think the grain bill you have listed could be really great. You should definitely go for it.

I've been loving brown malt lately, so I'll definitely try it again in another pale ale. I'll try to remember to report back once that batch is carbed and let you know how it worked out.

That'd be awesome, thanks. If you get a chance a photo would be great too for the colour.

Back