Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-dub

Reaction score
Ok friends, now that I have my tun built I am ready for my first all grain batch. I am going to make a brown. I am extremely fond of Lost Coast's Downtown Brown. Wondering if anyone who is familiar with Downtown knows of a recipe that is close. Thanks, j-dub

Could you describe it? Northern English, Southern English, or American. Southern tends to be a little lower on the ABV and IBU's (in the teens) and on the maltier/sweeter side. Northerns tend to be a little more hop forward, dryer, but still have the big malt backbone. American, I believe, is like a hoppier Northern English (correct me if I'm wrong).

Are the flavors big on biscuity? Nuttier? Caramelly? Toffee-ish? All of the above?

Sorry, I'd look it up on BA but that's blocked at work.. :cross:

Could you describe it? Northern English, Southern English, or American. Southern tends to be a little lower on the ABV and IBU's (in the teens) and on the maltier/sweeter side. Northerns tend to be a little more hop forward, dryer, but still have the big malt backbone. American, I believe, is like a hoppier Northern English (correct me if I'm wrong).

Are the flavors big on biscuity? Nuttier? Caramelly? Toffee-ish? All of the above?

Sorry, I'd look it up on BA but that's blocked at work.. :cross:

American Brown, very nutty, lightly hopped but still very present, hint of crystal, dark in color. It is a great brew! If I have to drink store bought there is generally something from Lost Coast in the cooler. Especially Downtown.

Yea, they're using just light dry and light liquid. I'd use good ol' 2-row or maybe even maris otter for a little bit more nuttiness. Just calculate how much based on the OG you're looking for.

I'd probably do something like this:

80% Maris Otter (or 2-row)
10% Caramel 60
8% Victory
2% Chocolate

That doesn't look anywhere near what they have listed in that thread, but the maris otter and victory will give you the nuttiness you're looking for, the caramel will help with color and give you a decent caramel/toffee flavor, and chocolate will give color and a touch more nutty/roastiness.

That's what I'd play with though to get a similar profile based on what you described. As for that thread... the consensus seems to be that it's a pretty good clone, so you may just want to start with that, sub out the extract for 2-row, and then see how it works out for you.

Back