brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehawk

Reaction score
How does this recipe look. If you would change anything please let me know why.
5.5 gal in fermentor
10lbs 2 row
1lb crystal 40
.75lb victory
.5lb special roast
.4lb chocolate
northern brewer 1oz 60min
kent golding 1oz 20min
fuggle .5oz 1min
willamette .5oz 1min

May I suggest you add yeast to your recipe? <g>

Victory and Special Roast kind of tread on the same territory. I'd drop one.

I would stick to only one hop, or maybe NB to bitter and then only one other for the later editions. Mixing too many hops just "muddies" the hop flavour. Personally I like to be able to tell which one was used.

GT

Simple is best, IMO. +1 to both comments.

I prefer Special Roast over Victory in Brown Ale. I'd simply drop the Victory and leave the rest as-is. I use pale, crystal and chocolate in my Brown. But Special Roast will add a definite something.

For hops, remember Willamette is a cultivar of Fuggles. I can't tell them apart, even in SMaSH beers, and I flatter myself I have a fairly well-tuned palate. Me, I'd bitter with NB and finish with Fuggles/Willamette, leaving out the 20-minute addition entirely. The earthiness of the Fuggles will blend well with the roasted character imparted by the Chocolate and Special Roast malts.

Bob

Thanks for the replies. I was originally only going to do two hop additions, so I will go back to that. For yeast should I use american or english?

Back