Brown Ale vs Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, sort of.

There are several kinds of brown ale. American brown ale (something like Moose Drool) is a hoppy American beer that uses some dark malts to make an "American style" brown ale.

There are two basic kinds of English brown ale- Southern English brown and Northern English brown.

The Northern English brown is what we think of as "nut brown ale" normally. The Southern English brown is sweeter, more caramelly, and more fruity.

The thing is, there is really no such style as "nut brown ale" and I've even seen some "nut brown ales" as lagers (like Leinenkugels Fireside Brown".

Since the Northern English browns aren't particularly nutty, some brewers add more nut flavors (and even nuts) to get a "nut brown ale" so they can vary widely depending on who's making them!

Just out of curiosity, what would Newcastle fall under? I love brown ales and Newcastle is a favorite. As far as craft beers go, I also like Redhook's and Red Brick's (from Atlanta), but so far my favorite has been Bluegrass Brewery (aka: BBC) nut brown ale.

The reason I ask is I recently ordered the nut brown kit from Northern Brewer. I was trying to decide which to get (Caribou Slobber, Nukey Brown, or Nut Brown) so just went with the nut brown for the time being. I'm sure I'll try the other two sooner than later.

It is my understanding that the term "nut brown" was used as an adjective. Think "lime green" or "sky blue". It was used in advertising in the 1800's to describe the color. As in "brown as a nut". Not so much that it imparted nutty flavor.

That's the part that shows my inexperience with this hobby. I know more by brand, than I do by style. The brown ales are a prime example. If you asked me if I've ever had a Northern English Brown Ale, I wouldn't know. At the same time, I love Newcastle and it is one of my favorite brands.

Many years ago, when I thought Bud Light was the ****, I remember seeing a poster a college friend of mine had. It listed all the different styles of beers and showed how some styles were very close (stout & porter) to each other, while others weren't.

One nice thing about learning how to brew is that you will find yourself becoming much more knowledgable about beer styles.

One nice thing about learning how to brew is that you will find yourself becoming much more knowledgable about beer styles.
X2 It is also fun to be able to drink a beer and be able to tell what kind of hops were used in it :D

A newcastle clone would be the closest to newcastle. Its in the clone 200 book and I think the BYO clone magazine.

Back