Brown ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drays14

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm getting ready to brew my first brown ale this upcoming week, I put together a recipe but with this being my first attempt I wanted to get your opinions/suggestions. This will be my 16th batch since January, I'm so excited for all the fall and winter brews! My goal is a malty and slightly nutty brown, I'm also debating splitting the batch in half and adding some hazelnut extract in one keg. I know rogue has their clone recipe out there but I also wanted something that is my own. Let me know what you think!

Batch size 5.5 gallons
Boil time 60 minutes
OG 1.064
Efficiency 70%

11lb 2 Row - 79.3%
17oz victory - 7.7%
13oz Crystal 80 - 5.9%
9oz Chocolate malt - 4.1%
7oz special b - 3.2%

Still debating on the hops and yeast. I have a bunch of nugget and williamette but I can pick something else up. How does the grain bill look? Also what hops/yeast would you go with?

Thanks in advance!

Looks good to me. I'd bring the Victory down a tad. Nugget is a pretty good hop and so is Willamette. If you like them, just go ahead. What yeasts do you have? Nothing wrong with US 05 but you could do with a tad less attenuation. You could make it an all Nugget show.

The yeast can be whatever I grab at the lhbs. Is victory going to add a sweetness to balance out the chocolate and special b or should I maybe substitute crystal 120 with the special b?

Would Ringwood be interesting? That or Fullers would both be ok. If you get MJ Newcastle Dark Ale you can do your liver some favours, though :-D

Back