Brown Ale recipe thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awtesta

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a brown ale next week. i'm trying to use up some grains i have on hand so what does everyone thing of the following.

6 gallon batch:
9lbs Marris Otter
12oz Special Roast
8oz Crystal 60L
4oz Black Patent
4oz Chocolate

*** i've looked

For hops i'm probably going with Mt. Hood or Liberty since i have a bit of those on hand as well. Probably 1oz @ 60min and another 1oz @15min.

I'll probably go with WhiteLabs 013 or Wyeast1028

I am not a fan of black patent in my Browns - it's sharp flavor is too overpowering for me so I usually use Carafa Special instead. But the recipe looks pretty good as it stands if you like black patent character.

I'd drop the black patent. It seems unnecessary. I usually do something similar to what you have and 4oz of chocolate malt gets me a nice deep brown color and subtle chocolate/roast notes.

I think the black patent would make it too dark and distract from the special roast and crystal.

Made some changes last min. based on replies here and what the LHBS had.

9lbs Marris Otter
12oz Brown Malt
8oz Crystal 60L
2oz Black Patent
6oz Chocolate

i kept the Black in but just in a smaller dose. Since I don't have a great reference point as to the taste, I figured i'd keep it in and see if i can taste it in the final product. if i don't like it i can then remove it next time.

Back