Brown Ale recipe questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian_n

Reaction score
My first post....
Below is a Brown Ale recipe using mostly leftover ingredients from my last few brews. Any thoughts? Too much special roast? Not enough Crystal? Awful hops for this style? I know the hops aren't normal for this style, but it isn't going to be that hoppy anyways (I do have one extra ounce of Hallertau Hersbruck though). I have a LHBS close to home, so if there's anything glaringly wrong, I'll gladly buy the necessary ingredients.

51% 5 LB Marris Otter (Crisp)
20% 2 LB American Two-row Pale
8% 12 oz Special Roast
5% 8 oz Crystal 10L
5% 8 oz Flaked Oats
4% 6 oz Flaked Barley
3% 4 oz Chocolate Malt
3% 4 oz Crystal 60L
3% 4 oz Munich Malt

60 mins 1.0 oz Hallertau Hersbruck pellet 4.5
60 mins 0.25 Magnum pellet 13.1
10 mins 0.5 Hallertau Hersbruck pellet 4.5

SRM:19 IBUs: 27

Well... You seem to have too much special roast, not enough crystal malt, and the wrong hops. Of all of those, the hops are going to be the most pronounced, since your bittering level is about a third higher than the top of the range for the style, and the flavors are going to be off, too. (Assuming you're making a Southern brown, for northern you're fine)
All that said... If you're brewing from leftovers, and you're not actually buying anything special for this, go for it and see what happens. I might give up the magnum if I were you and try to add a bit more Crystal 80-120L if you got any around (will help a bit with the color, too) What yeast are you planning to use?

Thanks for the feedback.

Take it down to 8 oz of special roast? 4 oz?
How much more crystal would you add?
I removed the Magnum, replacing it with another .5 oz of Hersbruck, meaning I now have all Hersbruck (1.5 for 60 and .5 for 10) with just under 24 IBU's.

I'm open to buying a pound of crystal and an ounce of hops if that will help a lot. If I change the hops, I assume Fuggles or Goldings?

No clue on the yeast as I have to buy that, though I prefer dry yeast.

Back