Brown Ale recipe feed back.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstockwell

Reaction score
Looking for opinions feedback for this.. Thanks

Recipe Type: All Grain BIAB
Yeast: Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons): 3.25
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 33
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 24 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 Days @ 64 degrees

Grain Bill
3.25 lbs. 2-Row
3.25 lbs. Maris Otter
1.5 lbs. Weyermann® Dark Munich Malt (10L)
10 oz. Crystal 120
4 oz. Chocolate Malt

Mash
BIAB Single Infusion mash for 60 minutes at 152 degrees.

Boil & Hops
.5 oz. Galena 13% at 15 min.
.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
.5 oz. Willamette 4.5% at 5 min.

Hop schedule based on late additions for aroma and flavor.

Brewersfriend used for recipe calculations

IBU's I used BierMuncher chart

Brown%20ale%20hops.jpg

I think itll be good. The hop schedule seems a bit confused but it wont make or break it

I agree wit the comments on hops - I'd stick more to UK ale hops - but that's my preference. Cascade and Willamette are more US Pacific NW hops - I see you're also going for flavour and aroma, and can get the bitterness without a FWH addition or 60 minute addition.

I made a good one last year with less C120 and some C60, plus some biscuit malts.

Good luck!

I think itll be good. The hop schedule seems a bit confused but it wont make or break it
Well I was reading some other alternatives to getting the bitterness without killing the aroma with a 60 min boil. I can change this up, just throwing around ideas.

I also have US-05 if that's a better choice for this particular recipe.

This is my attempt to clone Smuttynose Old Brown DogI subbed 1/2 2 row for MO, I don't have to do that, and drop the notty and use US-05. The hops are the right ones, the schedule I don't know, I may try and ask them.

Color
Deep Reddish Brown

Malt Bill
North American 2-Row, Munich 10L, C-120, Chocolate

Hops
Bittering: Cascade and Galena, Flavoring: Willamette

Yeast
American Ale

Oh, well usually "bittering" would mean 60min up to maybe 30min additions. So id move those back a bit.

I doubt there will be too much difference between those 2 yeasts. They are both very clean if you use them at the right temeprature

Just me, but it might be smart to use something around the 60/45 min mark for bittering.

Galena profile i found online says: Spicy, blackcurrant and citrus (grapefruit) tones. Excellent high alpha variety with balanced bittering and aroma characteristics; mainly used for bittering, but finding favor as a dual purpose variety.

Cascade: Medium intense floral, citrus and grapefruit tones, An aroma variety with well-balanced bittering potential, good for dry hopping.

Hope this helps.

So maybe change it up a bit, I still get about 30 IBU's

.25 oz. Galena 13% @ 60.
.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% @ 45.
.5 oz. Willamette 4.5% @ Flameout.

Why did you add Maris Otter? I like the way it mixes with 2-row (a little more malty, but not to spendy!), but just curious.

Also, on the hops: the spec says they use bittering and flavoring, but no aroma. I think flavoring would mean 30 to 15 minutes. Later than that is more aroma.

I've never had it, so I don't know, but does it have a strong hop aroma? I would probably add the Willamette at 15 minutes.

I don't need to add the MO, I have enough 2-row, just figured a little added flavor. Guess I'm falling into the same newbie trap of adding more than whats needed. :eek: As for the hops, I'm trying to get the numbers @ 30 IBU's. So any increase in time I will have to decrease the amount.

.25 oz. Galena 13% @ 60.
.25 oz. Willamette 4.5% @ 15.

Ive had bells brown ale a number of times and I think its relatively hoppy for a brown ale. If that's what your going for, stick with something closer to your original hop bill. I would Just move the galena to 60min and call it done. Either way, the hops arent going to be the focus of this so I wouldnt fret too much over it

I don't need to add the MO, I have enough 2-row, just figured a little added flavor. Guess I'm falling into the same newbie trap of adding more than whats needed. :eek: As for the hops, I'm trying to get the numbers @ 30 IBU's. So any increase in time I will have to decrease the amount.

.25 oz. Galena 13% @ 60.
.25 oz. Willamette 4.5% @ 15.

I think if you're hitting 30 IBU with those additions, you're probably good. I don't think there will be a noticeable difference with the Willamette at 0 or at 15 in terms of bitterness. If you like more aroma, keep it late.

Their specs don't give a lot of details, so you just have to give it a shot and see. But remember that if you wanted to drink Old Brown Dog, you could buy it. What you make will be a little different, and that's probably good!

What you make will be a little different, and that's probably good!

Thanks, that's what I think I'm going to do.

Grain Bill
3.25 lbs. 2-Row
3.25 lbs. Maris Otter
1.5 lbs. Weyermann® Dark Munich Malt (10L)
10 oz. Crystal 120
4 oz. Chocolate Malt

Mash
BIAB Single Infusion mash for 60 minutes at 152 degrees.

Boil & Hops
.25 oz. Galena 13% @ 60 min.
.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% @ 45 min.
.5 oz. Willamette 4.5% @ Flameout.

And use the US-05, and keep notty for another day.

Back