Brown Ale Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddicker60

Reaction score
My buddy wanted a brown ale. I made this up, wanted to know how this would do. I am thinking about changing the simcoe.

Hopville American Brown Ale Recipe
schindler's sh*t

-
BJCP Style
American Brown Ale

Recipe Type
All Grain

Batch Size
5.5 gallons

% LB OZ
77% 10 ~ Briess 2-row Pale Malt
12% 1 8 Briess Caramel Munich 60L
8% 1 ~ American Chocolate
4% ~ 8 Flaked Oats

Batch sparge at 150 for 60min
Specific Gravity
1.060 OG
(1.054 to 1.063)
14.7° Plato
1.016 FG
(1.014 to 1.017)
4.1° Plat

Usage Time OZ AA » IBU
boil 45 min 1 Simcoe ~ pellet 13.0 » 39.5
Bitterness
39.5 IBU

Yeast

SafAle English Ale
yeast in dry form with medium flocculation and 73% attenuation
Alcohol
5.9% ABV
5.0% ABW
Calories
per 12 oz.

I would reduce the chocolate to about 4 oz. A pound will be overpowering. I would also save the simcoe for another recipe where you can feature it's flavor. If your going for a more malt forward brown ale (as opposed to a hoppy American) then you could either go neutral like Warrior or British like Fuggles or EKG. I typically use Styrian Goldings in mine, but this last time I just used a single bittering addition of Warrior.

Should I sub what I took out of the chocolate malt to 2-row? I thought about that after putting simcoe into the recipe, will probably use magnum or some other straight bittering hop. thanks.

You could go either way. It'll drop your SG about 5 points. If you have the balance between bitterness and sweetness (bu:gu) that you are looking for, then you can sub in some 2 row to get back to the 1.060. I typically go with about 28 IBUs and 1.047 on mine so that gets me a ratio of .59. My most recent version was more like .45. Yours will be about .65 so it's a little more assertive, but it all depends on what you like.

I think it'd be nice to layer some of the caramel malt, and maybe replace some with something like amber or toasted malt. I made a similar brown and it was good, but overly sweet and not too complex. It was:

10 lbs 2-row
2 lbs C60
4 oz Chocolate

I would do:
8 oz C40 or 60
4 oz C80
2 oz C120
10 oz Amber Malt (I toast my own from bulk base malt).

that sounds really good, and i think it would actually be way more complex. Good call.

Is there a thread on here for toasting malt?

Back