Brown Ale OG 1.064!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPB

Reaction score
I decided to try my hand at my own extract recipe. The OG was supposed to be (according to Beersmith) 1.044 and was actually 1.064! What am I doing wrong? Below are the ingredients...

96.00 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Extract 82.76 %
(LHBS only carried 6 lbs of Briess DME Pilsen Light)
8.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.90 %
8.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 6.90 %
4.00 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 17.1 IBU
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast-Ale

I don't know if this would effect it or not but it was also the first time I was able to use a Therminator (had to rack it out of the pot with a SS cane) and cooled the wort to around 58 degrees when I took the reading. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

That is a pretty high OG for only 6 lbs of extract. Did you take the reading from the full 5 gallon batch?

Assuming you are using DME, it's not that far off. DME is about 44 ppg and the rest of the grains would add around another 36. That's a total of 300 points. For a five gallon batch, that would yield 1.060. I'm assuming you did your original calculation using LME. That would yield about 245 points and 1.049 for five gallons.

This was a full boil. My pot claims it can hold 30 quarts however, it can only contain 6 gallons to the brim. As a result I start off with 5 gallons and then add one more gallon 15 minutes into the full boil.

I most likely could have taken close to 5 gallons of decent wort from the pot. Unfortunately this being the first time using a Therinator, I didn't want to chance clogging anything so I let the rest of the murky trub go. I took the hydrometer reading from approximately 4 gallons of wort.

Tech 211 is right I did take the original gravity calcucation assuming it was LME.

If someone could spell this out for me I'd appreciate it (I'm more than a little slow when it comes to numbers let alone science). I know it has something to do with using DME and potentially the amount of wort I drew the reading from.

Thanks for everyones response so far!

Sorry, I should have explained more.

One pound of dry malt extract gives you 44 points per gallon per pound (ppg). The crystal malt yields something like 34-36 ppg. PPG is a way to estimate intial gravity. It's simple, really. Multiply the points by the number of pounds (44 ppg x 6 pounds + 36 ppg x roughly 1 pound= 300 points). Then you just divide the points by the amount of liquid you have (300 points / 5 gallons = 60 or 1.060). I did just a rough calculation above, because I didn't the exact characteristics of the material you used. I hope this helps.

Thanks Tech211 very helpful! What should I expect in regards to the Final Gravity and more importantly taste?

Back