Brown Ale From Scratch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
So the group of guys I brew with are getting sick of spending money on new batches. To solve this and make everyone happy I decided to take all of our left over ingredients and make a brew out of them. After looking into what we had I decided we could most likely make something of a Brown Ale from them. We like to make beers that are a bit different so it may not turn out like a Brown Ale but we are gonna try it and see what we get as a result. Here is the process and ingredients we will be using:

Steep 1/2 lb flaked barley, 1/2 lb crystal malt, 1/2 lb carahell, and 1/2 lb chocolate barley malt for 30 mins at 155F.

Remove spent grains and bring to boil.

Add one 4 lb can of Pale Ale LME and 1 1/2 lbs of Dark DME. Bring back to a boil.

Remove from heat and add 1oz Kent Goldings. At 30 mins add .5oz of Kent Goldings. At 5 mins add .5oz of Kent Goldings.

Remove from heat steep 1/2 cup of ground coffee for 15 mins.

Cool and pitch yeast (safale s-04)

Ferment for 10 days then bottle with 3/4 cups of corn sugar for 10-14 days.

I have no idea what to expect for an OG but we will record it anyways.

If anyone has any thoughts Id love to hear them. I will update the page once we get a taste.

The Tastybrew calculator says, assuming a 5 gallon batch, OG = 1.044, FG = 1.011, ABV = 4.3, IBU = 30, SRM = 26. So that's pretty well right down the line for a Northern style brown (a little on the hoppy side), or a dark Best Bitter. Sounds great.

Thanks I appreciate the calculations. Yea Im not sure if we are gonna use all the hops. One of the recipes that we took a little inspiration used 1.5 oz we figured we would just go the full 2.

Back