Brooklyn Chocolate Stout - Dark Chocolate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leukass

Reaction score
So here is the story - I am a novice have about 6 brews under my belt.
I want to brew up the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout - saw a episode of Brewing TV where Chip brewed this recipe (will post recipe below) but I love me some Dark Chocolate. In the brewing tv episode chip added bakers chocolate, which I know is un-sweeten. I want to try to add some dark chocolate to the recipe, do you guys see any issues with this? I am thinking the extra sugar will just give the yeast more to eat? Am i wrong?

Thanks

Malt Extract Recipe

6.5 lbs dark malt extract syrup (or 5.2 lbs dark dried malt extract)
1.0 lb chocolate malt
4.0 oz roasted barley
4.0 oz black patent malt
Hops:
1.5 oz UK Fuggles (5%aa) - 60 min
1.5 oz Willamette (5%aa) - 10 min
Yeast:
Irish ale yeast
Other:
8 tsp gypsum
1/4 tsp powdered Irish moss
3/4 cup corn sugar for priming bottles or 1/3 cup for priming keg

Place crushed grains in 2 gallons of 150F water and let steep for 30 minutes.
Then strain out (and rinse with 3 quarts hot water) and discard crushed grains, reserving approximately 2.5 gallons of liquid to which you will now add malt extract, gypsum and 60-minute hops.
Bring to a boil. Total boil time is 60 minutes.
When 10 minutes remain, add the Irish moss and the 10 minute hops.
After a total wort boil of 60 minutes, turn off heat. Cool in ice bath or with immersion chiller (or other method).
Strain out and sparge hops and direct the hot wort into a sanitized fermenter to which 2.5 gallons of cold water has been added.
Bring total volume to 5 gallons with additional cold water if necessary. Aerate the wort well.
Pitch yeast when temperature of wort is about 70F.
Ferment at about 70F for about one week, or until fermentation shows signs of calm or stopping.
Rack from primary to secondary fermenter. If you have the capability, "cellar" the beer at about 55F for about one week.
Prime with sugar and bottle of keg when complete.

Back