Broken Wyest bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blewinski

Reaction score
Greetings -

This afternoon while preparing to brew I cracked the Wyeast pack and the package broke all over the kitchen. The bag still has some liquid in it. I am wondering if I should continue with my brew tonight and pitch the remaining yest or hold off till tomorrow and get a new package of Wyeast and brew then?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I'd go with a new pack. You have no way of knowing how many yeast cells you're starting with now, not to mention the contamination issues. It's worth $8 to eliminate a chance of ruining a whole batch of beer.

Thanks Kombat, that's what I was leaning towards doing. Do you think I will be ok if I brew tonight and pitch tomorrow mid day?

If your sanitation was good, I think it's certainly better than pitching a fraction of a bag of potentially-contaminated yeast. Let us know how this brew goes, but I'd vote for sealing it up tight and pitching new yeast tomorrow. Under pitching would not give good results.

Back