Broken Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

nathanclare

Reaction score
Hey guys.....I brewed a honey porter on saturday and pitched my yeast about midnight that night. The boil went great and my new homemade CFC worked like a charm. I used a White Labs liquid yeast and pitched at around 77 degrees. The best before date on the yeast was SEP 26, but I didn't figure it was too far gone so I used it. The problem is I have no visual activity at all after almost 48 hours. I'm worried that the yeast might have been bad. I have one more vial, but I'm not sure whether to use it or not. Can you use too much yeast? And....Can you wait too long to pitch? i.e. Am I already screwed b/c the wort has sat for two days? Should I just try and wait it out?
Nate

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
OP
nathanclare

nathanclare

Reaction score
thanks for the info.....I thought about doing a starter but got rushed towards the end of the day. I've never used the white labs liquid yeast before. I thought they would be better/easier to use but from what I've read they're not exactly "pitchable" like they say.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Is it in a bucket or a carboy? If it's in a bucket, have you looked to see if there is any krausen? Do you know the OG? If so, do a gravity reading. If it's gone down 1 single bit, it's fermenting.

I have an Ale Pale (bucket fermenter) that never shows airlock activity unless it's blowing off some krausen through a blow off tube.. I'm assuming that it has a slight leak some where that the gas escapes through (possibly a bent lid?) Like I said, it never shows any airlock activity unless its blowing off krausen.

Like said above, relax.

OP
nathanclare

nathanclare

Reaction score
I think you and I bought our buckets from the same guy. Mine never shows any activity either unless the fermentation is so wild that it starts coming thru the airlock. I peeked inside hoping to see some krausen last night, but to my horror, I found none. I haven't checked it tonight. I did take an OG reading, so I'll check it again tomorrow and then I'll probably know for sure whether I have a real problem on my hands. Thanks for the reply.
Nate