Broken impeller on beer pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate684

Reaction score
I have a riptide pump that I recently purchased. While cleaning it after a brewing, I accidentally dropped the impeller, breaking off one of the five blades. Will this still work or will it put too much stress on the main axle being unbalanced?

Thanks for any help.

Instead of taking that risk,if it were me I would just buy the new one for 24$...plus shipping of course
Screenshot_20190619-162234_Chrome.jpeg

I live in American Samoa and they won't ship to us in the US Territories in the Pacific. Here's a pic of the broken impeller.
20190617_122100.jpg

If you decide to repair it, I’d use something food safe. I highly doubt, from the smell of it, that JB Weld should contact anything that touches food. Super Glue Gel is probably the best option. Then of course, if it comes loose while running, that could jam things up and would be even worse than not repairing it at all.

If you remember how “smoothly” and quietly the pump ran before, you could always just run it with the broken impeller blade and see if it’s noisier or vibrating. If not, it’s likely not putting any extra stress on the motor.

Is JB Weld toxic?
JB Weld Toxicity. JB Weld claims their product is NOT toxic once fully cured, however one shouldn't consume cured JB Weld.

That impeller is pretty well trashed I would drop the coin on a new one

I would imagine it will work but the flow through the pump will be choppy

https://shop.greatfermentations.com...rm=1100910240630&utm_content=SHO-All Products

Can someone buy it and mail you one?

Good Luck

Back