Broken Hydrometer...Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildactbrewer

Reaction score
I wondered when this would actually happen...I live, as we call it around here, "out in the sticks" and it is an hour drive to the nearest LHBS. My question, is there any way to make an educated guess as to when primary fermentation is over?

Blonde Ale
OG: 1.042
Wyeast 1272

It has been in the primary for two weeks now and everything has slowed down(Krausen Dropped, Airlock Stopped, ect..) I went to take a FG reading and plopped by Hyrometer into the cylinder a little too hard. Sad day right?!

Without taking a reading or driving 75 miles to my LHBS I have no way of knowing if it is done or not. My thought is to go ahead and rack it but I wanted a second opinion.

Do you absolutely need to bottle/keg today?
If you must, I am assuming it is probably done but you can't really be 100% without that little tool. Personally, I have never had to rush a bottling of a beer so I would personally wait if only to ensure it were done and know my ABV. You can probably get one shipped in 2 days if you have amazon prime.

If you don't have too, I'd wait. Your probably ok but why risk it. Your Blonde Ale can wait for a few more days if not weeks without having any problems.

Place an order for a new hydrometer (or two or three for backups :p) and address the beer next week. Another week (or two) in the fermenter won't hurt your beer and will probably be good for it.

I'm with the OP, unless you have to keg today for some reason leaving it a couple days to heck even a couple weeks won't be a problem. Don't rush the yeasties!!!

Also, if you're going to get another measuring tool (I'm assuming since it's a vital tool)... I'd point you in the route of getting a refractometer instead of a hydrometer. With a refractometer you can check your OG in your mash (if you do all grain) or even during your boil (let the wort cool in an eye dropper or something). That way you don't need to take a good chunk of your wort to get a sample.

I would wait at least 1 more week before even considering bottling/kegging. Is there a reason you want to do this right away?

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm just gonna let it chill for a while until I can get another hydrometer. My biggest concern was that it was a light ale. I knew it was fine to leave bigger /darker beers on the yeast but wasn't sure how that would affect such a delicate flavor profile. Thanks to all!

Good call. Unless you are really pressed for time, the additional days you leave the beer in your fermenter should only improve on the quality. The yeast will continue to metabolize any left over by products after fermentation is complete.

Back