Broken glass in mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddypower

Reaction score
I am in the middle of my brew day and realized that my glass thermometer broke and there is some glass in the mash. What would you guys do?
Proceed as normal?
Toss the batch?
RDWHAHB?

Thanks,
Ted

How old was the thermometer? Most new ones aren't made with mercury, but I'd still be a littler leary of whatever it is that is used in it.

If it was just broken glass I MIGHT consider filtering it out, but then again, ingesting broken glass does not sound like fun.

Probably safer to toss it and brew again.

You should be fine. Just dont go sticking your hand in the mash. Its too hot for that anyway. If its in the mash, your braid or manifold will stop it from getting any further. If it makes it into the boil, or even fermenter, it will drop out. No worries.

Your only problem is if it was a mercury thermometer.

No fair! How do you get to brew on a Monday? I have to be at work!

Are there tiny little pieces? Just like the husks it could get filtered out by the grain bed. The rest "should" settle to the bottom while fermenting.

Thinking more about it, I'd probably keep the batch. I just wouldn't drink any hydro samples until fermentation is complete and everything has settled out.

If it was a mercury thermometer, with a metallic level indicator, I'd toss the batch out, better safe than sorry.

But if it was an alcohol thermo- normally red indicator, ... well, >I'd< still toss it out, but wouldn't think anyone crazy for continuing the brew.

I'd get one of those funnels with a filter in it and maybe run my beer through that into my keg/bottling bucket. I know it'll oxidize a little but I'd rather have that then an itchy throat porter! :D

Its red, so thats just colored alcohol. You will be fine. I doubt any glass will make it out of the mash tun to be honest. What are you using to filter out of the mash tun? False bottom, SS braid or manifold?

I'd get one of those funnels with a filter in it and maybe run my beer through that into my keg/bottling bucket.

That's what I did. I broke my hydrometer into the wort and used the little plastic strainer between primary and secondary. Worked out perfect.

I call that recipe Leaden Lager now though because of that. Interesting adjunct! Hopefully I don't get lead poisoning.

S

Back