Broken Fermentation Tank/Oxidized Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForerunnerBrewer

Reaction score
Several weeks ago I noticed a small leak from the spout of my fermentation bucket. As soon as I put my hand on it to inspect it the spigot broke an My Precious was pouring all over the floor! I yelled to my wife for help and we hobbled it to the kitchen to figure something out. I felt like the kid plugging the dam with his finger!

I then took some clamps and scrap wood from my woodwork hobby and clamped the lid on and tilted the bucket on its side with the spigot on the top. Next I siphoned everything into the 3rd bucket (after 2ndary), added back the oak chips and put it away.

I really wanted this batch to meet or exceed the same recipe I made last year and this event made me worry about oxygen in the beer and in the airspace below the airlock. 2 days later I thought a good fix may be to introduce more sugars so that the yeast would use that oxygen+sugar to create CO2 and push the oxygen in the headroom out the airlock. I boiled a half pound of table sugar and threw it in.

I think my idea will work what I really want to know is what your thoughts are on short term oxidation?

Thanks guys! I'm not worrying too much, only trying to gain insight! Any thoughts about sugar causing the yeasties to feast and fart the o2 out of the beer and airlock?

Back