Broke my siphon, would like to bottle. How?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
So I broke my autosiphon and would like to bottle tomorrow. There isn't anywhere near me that carries the autosiphons. Is there a sanitary way to transfer? I have a racking cane and tubing but don't want to risk bacteria by using my mouth to siphon.

Thanks

Dan

Willsellout said:
So I broke my autosiphon and would like to bottle tomorrow. There isn't anywhere near me that carries the autosiphons. Is there a sanitary way to transfer? I have a racking cane and tubing but don't want to risk bacteria by using my mouth to siphon.

Thanks

Dan

Do you have any carboy caps?

eqp8004.jpg

Fill your siphon tube with sanitizer and cover the ends with your thumbs. Put one end in the beer and take your thumb off the end. Lower the other end and let it flow into a waste container until the sanitizer is gone and beer starts to come out. Bottle as you would any other day.

Yuri_Rage said:
Fill your siphon tube with sanitizer and cover the ends with your thumbs. Put one end in the beer and take your thumb off the end. Lower the other end and let it flow into a waste container until the sanitizer is gone and beer starts to come out. Bottle as you would any other day.

OK cool, this sounds easy enough. I will be bottling tomorrow it looks like.

Thanks

Dan

I've never had a problem. Theoretically it's possible, I don't stress about it. Gargle with something high-proof for a little while.

the_bird said:
I've never had a problem. Theoretically it's possible, I don't stress about it. Gargle with something high-proof for a little while.
Cool, I have some listerine I will gargle with. Thanks again guys. I'm having a kid this week (hopefully) and I really needed to bottle tomorrow otherwise it might have been a while in secondary:D

Dan

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Your local hardware store sells brewing supplies? Dang.

I miss those days. Years back in Nanaimo, BC. There was a home hardware that carried just about everything you needed to brew beer or distill alc.

The owner was a brewing nut! Here, other than grain from Gambrinus an hour a way, I have to hit ubrews for hops and a winekitz for carboys etc and mail order the rest.

the_bird said:
Hey, congradulations! It's a trip, man... your first?

Yeah my first. We are waiting on word from the doc on whether or not we will be having it this week or next. But I had to get that brew in before she was born:D

And yeah my hardware store carries most stuff like carboys bottles some kits and supplies. Most of the time I can go there but they were out of autosiphons this time. Oh well, I got my carboy cap and another racking cane and some more tubing. I might have to push my bottling off until Tuesday..work tomorrow is going to be a long day. I still have to clean and sanitize my bottles. It's going to be a busy week, but by the end of the month I should have a kid and a nice Chocolate stoute:rockin:

Dan

Back