Brix refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale_Jail

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a Brix refractometer. I see northern brewer sells them for 66.00.

Me being the cheap bastard I am decided to google the product name for the item northern brewer is selling:

brix/specific gravity refractometer w/atc

I got results in the shopping area where the are sold as low as 13.00 with an average price around 20-30 bucks. My question...they all appear to be the same thing.....anyone else buy one of these "cheaper" versions and do you have any issues with it? Am I missing something? Why would anyone pay the high price at northern brewer when you can get it a lot less? Might as well save some money if I can.

Some that have Brix/SG scales tend to be more but Brix readings can easily be converted using any number of online tools. I bought a $24 one off Amazon.

Last edited:
My first 20something refractometer lasted about 2 years, I think the seal around the sample area failed. I did drop it a few times in that time.

I replaced it with another 20something device.

I use it all the time to check fermentation progression and judging mash completion. Would have a hard time going without one.

Sounds good...thanks for he help....sound like I won't be missing too much buy getting a "cheaper" version

Back