Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luis.salas

Reaction score
Hi, guys.

I recently bought a refractometer in order to gain some control over my brewing that, until now, it has been quite wild and free. I was reading about the correction you should make when using a refractometer to obtain the precise Brix degree measure, and then convert it to SG. My issue is that my refractometer does include a SG scale, next to the Brix degrees. So, am I supposed to correct also the SG reading? How should do it? Or is it that I bought a super refractometer that ends with the hydrometer vs refractometer discussion?

Thanks!

If your refractometer reads in SG and that is the scale you wish to use for OG then you’re good. If you want to use it for FG you‘ll have to correct the SG for the presence of alcohol.

If your refractometer reads in SG and that is the scale you wish to use for OG then you’re good. If you want to use it for FG you‘ll have to correct the SG for the presence of alcohol.

Great. Any formula for that correction?

Back