British Yeast w/ no Temp Control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantman1

Reaction score
Anyone had good success using any british yeasts without having good temperature control?

If so, what yeast did you use?

I've been craving a good ESB or bitter lately and would like to brew one, but I don't have temp control. A few months ago I made a brown with S-04---even with the wet t-shirt and fan method, it was an ester bomb. I didn't like it much at all.

If I can't do this yet, I'll prob just resort to Notty.

I was afraid of that. I've had success with Notty in the past though- been able to keep it low enough.

why not just make a li'l swamp cooler out of a rubbermaid tote? that's what i do and i have great luck with english yeast. pitch a lot, i mean a lot of yeast and ferment around 60-62.

Notty is straight up nasty much above 70... worst yeast ever to ferment warm with. I had an irish red that tastes like rotten apricots

it's an 18 gal rubbermaid bucket filled with water. i put my carboy in there, and either chill with frozen water bottles or warm with a small aquarium heater. measure the temps with a floating mercury thermometer in the water bath. works like a charm, i can ferment from the low fifties to the high 70s based on what i'm brewing.

Notty is straight up nasty much above 70... worst yeast ever to ferment warm with. I had an irish red that tastes like rotten apricots

This for sure... I used Nottingham a few time with no temp control (because I'd never heard of it) on NB's old and now discontinued Shirley Furioso kit. I fermented at room temp and that yeast ramped up to 80 something on its own... Tasted so nasty - fusels, estery nastiness.

If your climate is dry, you don't even need to bucket/ice bottles method- just wrap a wet towel around it and point a fan at it. I ferment all of my ales at 62F (in the beer) this way.

Just be remember that the internal temperature of the fermenting beer will often be 2-4F higher than what your probe reads on the outside. It always amazed me that I could have a beer in swamp cooler with 62F water and the internal temp would still be chugging away at 65-66F.

A good rule of thumb for British yeasts is to pitch low (62-64F) and ferment no higher than 70F.

Back