British Bitter - Yeast Substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PittsburghBrewer

Reaction score
I currently have Northern Brewer's British Bitter (extract) in the fermenter, made with S-04 dry yeast. I would like to make this beer again a few times, using a different liquid yeast each time so I can compare and figure out what I like in terms of yeast. Off the top of my head, I would like to try WLP 005 (British Ale), WLP 023 (Burton Ale), Wyeast 1469 (West Yorkshire Ale), and Wyeast 1968 (London ESB).

In other posts, I have seen people say that it's generally OK to substitute yeasts in the same family (i.e., a British ale yeast for a British ale yeast). My question: if I substitute, do I need to modify the recipe/ingredients in any way? I recognize that different yeasts have different optimal fermentation temperatures, and I plan to treat each batch accordingly.

Thanks to all. Any suggestions about your favorite British ale yeast would also be appreciated.

i would use any of the yeasts you listed without giving the recipe itself a second thought. They are "families" of yeasts for a reason. Sure, they have differences, 1968 is a super flocculator for example. But they should all be capable of producing that slightly fruity character that traditional english ales have.

If say you used a belgian yeast or something (which are typically much higher attenuating) it would change your beer a lot more and youd likely need to use less malts to hit the same target abv. WLP007 English Dry Ale, would be the only "English" yeast I think youd need to watch out for this to occur where youd end up with a thinner, higher abv beer than anticipated.

Back