British beers and causes for similarities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What makes british beers have a similar taste?

• The taste of the water is the most prevalent commonality.

• The grains used create the main "british" flavor that is most common to those beers, within style

• Similar use of type of hops and amount of IBU. of course within style.

• british beers dont have a similar taste, this poll is stupid :)

• It's the yeast!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Opherman47

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Having drank a ton of British beers of late.... in order to tweak my palate as to commonalities and differences.... I think the main commonality is the water... that gives it that "taste" I wanted to put up a small poll.... mayhap someone could advise a better way of doing this.....

but i will post the question... what is the primary similarity in british beers, like fullers esb, bombadier etc?

of course within style... english porters with english porters.... ESB's with ESB's etc etc.... got some questions as to the clarity of the poll

Rather than the water per se I would say it's the malt, hops and yeast. That's not to say that those beers or other UK brews use the same choices but those families of ingredients do share some of the same broad characteristics. Fuller's and Well's are certainly recognizable as members of the same beer category but on the other hand each has it's own distinctive flavors.

Get a Fuller's Vintage Ale, a Sam Smith Pure Brewed Lager, a JW Lees Vintage Harvest Ale, a Meantime IPA, a Young's Double Chocolate Stout, a Mackeson's XXX Stout, and a Sam Smith Imperial Stout.

In other words, try British beers in a lot of different styles.

Latest posts

Back