British Base Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Maris Otter is well known and what I use when making an ESB (I use Crisp). But I also see several grains by Fawcett, including MO (which is preferred?), Pearl, Optic, and Halcyon. Are these special to anything? Why choose these?

Holy smokes Batman! I've asked this question on a British forum with 60-something views and no responses (they do seem to brew mostly kits there in their defense)! It was only due to no responses that I asked here figuring the Brits ought to know their grains best, right?

Very nice and thanks!

Hope the lab is well!

I am planning a Wee Heavy for next week and am deciding on which of these malts to use. I'd like to use Golden Promise, but I can't get any. Maris Otter is my next logical choice, but I want something a little less nutty. My last few brews have all used MO but they have all had a "peanut-buttery" taste which I have not liked too much. I can get some Halcyon, but I've read that it produces a "sharper" wort. What does "sharper" mean? It does not sound like a good quality for a Scotch Ale. Alternatively, should I just go with a mix of MO and pale ale malt? Or attempt to imitate a less nutty MO by using pale malt and some Crystal & Munich?

The biggest difference is between maltsers . But they are all pretty good imo, even Bairds who are the cheapest. All british malt is of a very high quality, thanks to the climate and entrenched history of high quality barley malting

Try some british extra pale malt if you can, it's great for lighter ales and lagers and fine as a base for darker ones too

Back