British Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxyzptlk

Reaction score
For my latest batch I am using this yeast.
It seems to be bubbling sporadically... that is it will bubble for extended periods and then just plain stop for extended periods. Is this normal for this yeast? I am used to batches starting out good and then slowing over a period of a week or so. This wasn't doesn't seem to be slowing... it just will stop for awhile and pick up again later.

Should I rack it to a secondary and see what happens? when it bubbles, it is still bubbling pretty good... it's been in the primary for a week now and it started bubbling within 48 hours of pitching the yeast. The first time the bubbling had stopped was the next day after it started.

Another issue is I am planning on re-using this yeast for my next batch (my barleywine), but if this isn't typical behaviour for the strain I may ditch that idea.

i've used it several times and haven't noticed inconsistent activity like that. are temp's steady?

let it sit another day, see if there is any activity in a couple minutes time. if not, rack it. or to be 100% certain, take a SG reading.

Back