Brithday Barley Wine 11/11/11

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewurzel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I wanted to brew a beer for my coming birthday next which will be 11/11/11.

So I decided a barley wine would be good with an O.G 1111 either finishing at 1011 or 11% ABV. which 11%+ abv should be easy with a final gravity around 1026 ish

I was also feeling lazy and decided to go extract. So below is my recipe which I brewed yesterday

When measured I hit 1110 1 point off my OG. Which I am happy with

I also pitched this onto a yeast cake from a 10 gallon batch of orfys hobgoblin

I am hoping to primary for 10 days the transfer to secondary splitting into a 5 gallon and a one gallon and dry hop the entire batch, in addition the one gallon will also add oak chips which have been soaked in Scotch. With the total secondary about a month then transfer to bottles for aging.

As I have never made a barley wine before any suggestions would be appreciated.

Birthday Barley Wine
English Barley wine

Type: Extract Date: 11/28/2010
Batch Size: 6.00 gal Brewer: Julian Davis
Boil Size: 7.97 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.75 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 57.35 %
4.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 23.53 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.47 %
3.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (65 min) Hops 48.5 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (65 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
2.00 lb Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) Sugar 11.76 %
1 Nottingham Yeast-Ale picthed on 10 gallon yeast Cake

Beer Profile
Est. Original Gravity: 1.111 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.110 SG
Est. Final Gravity: 1.026 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 11.27 % Actual Alcohol by Vol:
Bitterness: 75.7 IBU Calories:
Est. Color: 17.9 SRM Color:
Color

Looks good! Pitch more yeast though.
:mug:

It took off like a rocket

6 gallons in a 15 gallon bucket and still when i got home from work today the Kräusen had blocked the blow off tube and the bucket was looking like a Michelin man. boy did it hiss and blow out Kräusen as i pulled the tube out and it probably one of the most intense fermentations that i have seen in 10 years. cool though.
well as the fermentation slows i intend to rouse the yeast some
then pitch some more before bottling
does anybody know the alcohol tolerance of Nottingham as i am wondering if i will have to use another yeast to bottle with and if so what yeast would be good to use in this situation.

Rousing may not even be necessary. I recently pitched a 1.120 barleywine on a cake of S-04 and it got down to 1.022 without rousing, after only 6 days.

I think the alcohol tolerance of a strain is hard to definitively state. Some yeast may die off at X%, but others will survive. I've never had to re-yeast my beers to carbonate them, but sometimes it took 3-4 weeks before they were fully carb'd.

I had one batch a long time ago that never carb'd. If I brew anything over 10% now, i use a little extra fresh nottingham to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Rousing may not even be necessary. I recently pitched a 1.120 barleywine on a cake of S-04 and it got down to 1.022 without rousing, after only 6 days.

I think the alcohol tolerance of a strain is hard to definitively state. Some yeast may die off at X%, but others will survive. I've never had to re-yeast my beers to carbonate them, but sometimes it took 3-4 weeks before they were fully carb'd.

thanks for the info i will be checking my S.G.s as i go on
still unsure about carbonation factor. how long from start of fementaion would you bottle your batch

I too have brewed an extract barley wine. I ended up having issues with stuck fermentation but have it going again now. I'm subscribing to see how things go for you and I may be able to give some advice if needed.

Nice numbers, there.. I remember getting all excited when my birthday fell on 04-04-04, so I know where you're coming from...

I know this is off topic, but I bet you'd appreciate this one: My wife got a new car and her odometer hit 666 on 06-06-06.. lol.. devil car.

This might sound crazy, but every time I've put numerology efforts into an intoxicating product, well.. it always seems sooo much better. Ritual makes everything better.

Don't chance it, pitch extra yeast at bottling. I bottled a 13% RIS back in may and open one at teh 6 month mark and it didn't have great carb. Not sure what I'm going to do with them....

Back