Brinkman Smoker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I can't convince SWMBO that I should buy a Big Green Egg, so I am looking at a Brinkman Smoker (here).
039953501883.jpg

Anyone have any experience with this smoker? I am not looking to smoke everything I own, just some ribs, brisket, or pork shoulders on occasion. It looks like it gets decent reviews, good for the price. I think the biggest disappointment is the thermometer but I guess I can supplement that.

I used to have one of these, worked very well for the price.

Don't try smoking cheese it in though, or if you do, make sure you have heat WAY down. Ended up with a nice block of swiss melted down through grill then burned off. Oops. :D

In my opinion, you'll be much happier with a Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker. Check out the Virtual Weber Bullet website; all about the Weber smoker. I'm told (never had a Brinkman) that it holds temperature much better than a Brinkman, which is the key to low and slow.

[Edit]
Didn't mention that I've had the Weber for about two years and have been very happy with it. Many pounds of meat have gone through it, including pork butt, brisket, meatloaf, chicken, turkey, sausage, and probably some stuff I'm forgetting.
[/Edit]

Rick

Rick_R said:
In my opinion, you'll be much happier with a Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker. Check out the Virtual Weber Bullet website; all about the Weber smoker. I'm told (never had a Brinkman) that it holds temperature much better than a Brinkman, which is the key to low and slow.

Rick

If you can't go with a Big Green Egg, then I'd go with the Weber Smokey Moutain smoker too.

I looked at getting one of those, but I ended up with a Weber Smokey Mountain. A little more expensive at $249 (still cheaper than the Egg), but I think the extra expense was worth it in the long run. It has three vents around the charcoal bowl and one in the top so it's very easy to control airflow and temperature - the Brinkmann failed miserably in this regard. It can hold 250 degrees overnight without requiring any additional fuel or attention (very important with brisket and butts).

There's also the Virtual Weber Bullet forums for DIY modifications and recipes.

Edit - Three WSM posts in 5 minutes should close the book on that one!

Hmm...that price tag might be hard to sell to SWMBO too. It does look nice, I will have to work on it.

+1 for the Weber. Affordable, easy to use, holds temps great during long cooks.

If you go with the Brinkmann you're going to have to do some modifications to maintain stable temps for the time lengths needed for bbq.

I had the smaller version of the Brinkman pictured. It worked great. I converted to electric heat, which even made it better. I bought one like the pictured one for my brother-in-law & he & I both liked the double grates. The thermometer doesn't need to be more accurate than it is. Use the general temperature, the weight & thickness of what you are smoking as a guide. The Brinkman also comes with a cookbook for reference.

EdWort

I read a few reviews on the Big Green Egg and 2 of them said that even the large one is far too small to do aa fair amount of meat at the same time. Thoughts?

I have only tried to use it once (it is my friend's) and couldn't get the temp up above 200°F. He has the same problem. We basically needed to start everything in the oven and finish off on the smoker (or vice versa).

I've been thinking about this at the Depot...

9e16711f-5343-4fb4-89b0-cd327e1f58c1_300.jpg

$160, not too bad and I've got a $100 gift card to Depot to spend anyway (not that I wouldn't use the money on stuff regardless). Kinda like Dude's smoker, which seemed to do a pretty good job (although we were having some challenges with temp contol). Feels MUCH more substantial than the sub-$100 models.

The question I have is... what kind of smoker is ideal for smoking malt? I'm planning on doing a lot of smoked beers in the near future, I'd love to play around with different wood chips and stuff, so I *need* a smoker - but you think something like this, I can control the temps enough so I'm not just brewing smoked stouts?

People who home-smoke their own malts, what smokers seem to work well?

I've got the electric brinkman and I love it. It needs a thermo on it though (I haven't put one on yet...) and also bc it's electric I've been thinking of ways to control the temps (like a ranco type thing). I've seen some plans to use a dimmer switch and stuff but I just haven't done it.

The electric is awesome by the way bc you don't have to futz with charcoal

I've used them for years, they're cheap, effective and easy to use...And you can get it with an optional electroinc heating element which is good for extreemly cold or windy days. And surprisingly you can get a lot of meat on the two grills...When I was at school in Missouri (the home of good BBQ) my housemate and I would go to the Kansas city farmer's market, get ribs, sausages, chickens and uncured hams, and smoke enough meat for 2 weeks.

We used to use hickory and fill the water bowl with apple juice. Then do different dry rubs and cures for the meat..

You can also stack two units on top of each other if you have a lot of stuff to smoke....

The only flaw I've noticed was that it is difficult to mainitain temp on extreemly windy days without the electronic heating wand. But you can put it against a wall or build a wind break, becasuse it is so small and portable.

I've usually found them on sale for 30 bucks or so, it's a really cheap investment.

But lately I've had my eye on the square vertical smoker by brinkman...

0003995351080_215X215.jpg

They look like they can withstand the winds without loosing temp....

I've seen them for about 60 bucks at HD, Lowes, and Wally World.

hey beerrific, I have that very smoker. The price was what did it for me, but I wish I would have held out for something bigger and better. But it's not a bad little smoker for 40$. I smoke ribs and do beer can chicken all the time on mine!:rockin:

Evan! has one too.

Revvy, I looked at the vertical smoker at Depot, the design looked good for smoking stacks of grain...

But it feels really, really chintzy. Doesn't seem to be very high quality. Reading online, it sounded like you needed to modify the charcoal bowl to get decent temperature control, too (it has no holes, so the coals tend to smother themselves).

The brinkman can be a great smoker with a few mods. I believe I found most of them on smokingmeat.com. I have a Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain propane vertical that I love. I paid about $100 for it.

the_bird said:
Revvy, I looked at the vertical smoker at Depot, the design looked good for smoking stacks of grain...

But it feels really, really chintzy. Doesn't seem to be very high quality. Reading online, it sounded like you needed to modify the charcoal bowl to get decent temperature control, too (it has no holes, so the coals tend to smother themselves).

I'm glad you warned me...I actually hadn't dune any reading on it....I thought though that the walls were thicker than the "R2D2" smoker I've used...

Now here's the smoker you need. It's at my favorite BBQ joint in Kansas City, LC's. :D

9187.jpg

5937.jpg

My understanding is it was a converted bank safe or vault....

Every few minutes someone opens the door and fires off a garden hose over the flaming logs of hickory and shuts the door.

www.thesmokering.com - a really good smoking forum.

You can find all of the ECB(El Cheapo Brinkman) mods you need there.
  • You'll want to get some better airflow to the coals from the bottom of the smoker, and you'll want an adjustable flue on the top, again to regulate airflow. This can be done by screwing on a couple L-shaped brackets onto the bottom end of the smokerand setting another grill grate(a couple of bucks in the BBQ area at Lowes or Home Depot) on top of them, thus putting the coals a little bit off of the bottom, allowing for much better airflow. Also the coals that burn out will simply crumble and fall through the grate. Then you want to simple drill a hole in the top and install some sort of flap to regulate the airflow out the top.
  • Also if you use some aluminum foil and make a better seal where the lid goes on.... it'll help you retain some heat and smoke. This will keep the smoke from exiting the smoker right at the grill, with the smoke barely even touching the meat. Basically it is a vacuum. The air comes in through the bottom to feed the fire(embers), the smoke rises upwards to your "flue" right through your meat.(Just ask Evan!:p) You want the smoke to envelop your meat before leaving the smoker. That's why you want the flue or smokestack to be at the very top of the smoker.
  • Also, the temp probe in the lid.....throw it away. You can buy one that sits directly on the grill for a few bucks. Or if you want to go a step further you can get a nice digital probe and not even have to lift the lid to check on the temps.

We had (still have) a Brinkman (or equiv.) and now use a WSM. I like them both. We have made some incredible brisket on a standard Weber too. The standard Brinkman $40 smoker works great for learning/those on a tight budget.

I've got both the brinkman's the cylinder and the box. I got both for dirt cheap.

$20 for the gourmet
$30 for box.

I think the gourmet w/o mods heats better than the box. The box is bigger hold more meat. Lots of times SWMBO & I get tired of waiting and wind up finishing the ribs up on the gas grill.

I think both would work better with that 13" weber mini grate under the charcoal to keep them out of the ashes.

If I had to do over again, I really would strongly consider the one that Charbroil that bird was looking at HD it has the side firebox. I friend of mine has one an I think its awesome for the price. Its easy to keep the heat going w/ the side burner.

Build your own, as with brewing equipment, its half the fun. google "Ugly Drum smokers" You won't be disappointed. I'm building my second, new and improved version now :D

After debating to build my own smoker (see Alton Brown's Good Eat's Episode 'Q') out of terra cotta planters and a single burner/hot plate, but decided to pick up this Brinkman this weekend as I saw it at lowe's for $65 - the same price as the rest of my items to build one.

I bought a pork butt and made some Q on it and it was damn tasty. For an el-cheapo smoker, it's pretty decent. I'm happy (so far) with it.

Here's a general question, because I'm an idiot.

I was at the bigger Depot this weekend, and it looks like they had both a regular smoker and a water smoker. What's the deal with water smokers? Both were pretty cheap.

The water smokers tend to moderate the heat better. On the Brinkman, you don't have to use water. For smoking meat, you can add onions & whatever spices that you want, to the water for different flavors.
Also the instructions should tell you to always use hardwood for the smoke wood. You can also use pecan shells, or various nut shells, I have even used peanut shells.

I like the water option on the vertical smokers because the water helps keep the meat from drying out. We did ribs a few years back and ran the smoker dry... and ended up with almost pork jerky (the smoker was real hot and we were novices).

I use the water option a lot. HB or Apfelwein is always the base of my marinade. Add some spices, sauces, fruit, veggies, etc and you're all set.:cross:

I've asked the wife for the smoker I linked to for Father's Day. I hate buying something only to want to replace it down the line, and I really like the outside-firebox design.

I've heard that the outside firebox design smokers are on the tough side to control. I've never used one so I wouldn't know first hand.
Not all of us can have the Big Green Egg...

Man! This whole thread has made me hungry! Down here, firebox smokers are the bomb. I have always planned on getting me a nice one. Been looking for a few years. I went with the little Brinkman and was not very happy actually. I just had no control of the heat. I suppose I didn't give it a good chance seeing how my neighbors on either side sport several thousand bucks worth of smoke gear, trailers, bbq teams, etc... It is a sport here you know!

A good smoking rig can run some serious bucks. I was looking at around 800 bucks for a decent hand built with firebox at .250 wall all around. Down here you can find them selling on the side of the road, but it will still cost none the less...

So last night I ordered the Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker! Just cant stand reading all this! And, until I weld up my own rig, (Brutus Smoker) I think the WMS will work just fine! Thanks for this thread... I had forgotten about that little jewel.

I was wandering through Lowe's the other day and saw the Brinkman Electric smoker- and it took me on a search here. I've seen some reports about the electric element failing after a short time. Am I better served with the charcoal model?

I am on my second brinkman. My first was charcoal and a pain in the ass, the second is electric. The bottoms rot out eventually, but I usually leave it outside. The good part is it's easy to use, the bad is you really have no temperature control. I had a 22 pound turkey in mine last week. My next smoker will have a temp. control and it will be either the upright rectangular one or the large barrel type with a smoke box. The electric brinkmans work pretty good for the price though.

The good part is it's easy to use, the bad is you really have no temperature control.
While the Brinkman doesn't have a built-in temp control, it is very easy to control the temp through the amount of wood/coal, door, and lid. Never have an issue with smoking sausage, ribs, chickens, etc. Works great for me. Just get a better thermometer than the standard one.

I recommend the green egg, but cannot afford one myself right now either.

While the Brinkman doesn't have a built-in temp control, it is very easy to control the temp through the amount of wood/coal, door, and lid. Never have an issue with smoking sausage, ribs, chickens, etc. Works great for me. Just get a better thermometer than the standard one.

I recommend the green egg, but cannot afford one myself right now either.

I'm talking about the electric version. Still though, the charcoal units are not user friendly unless you feel like standing there all day opening the vent or adding additional hot charcoal. They don't hold heat well so it's hard to keep a stable temp. for hours. When I smoke a turkey it's at least 8-10 hours.

I have had the brinkman egg smoker for about 2 months and before my last smoke i modded it out by installing a grate and drilling air holes in the firepan. Before I did that, it needed constant coal to keep a decent temp. After the mods, one pan of lump charcoal lasted over 2 1/2 hours (I wouldnt know, my brisket was done) Mine was a cheaper model then what the OP posted. It was only like 30 bucks. Try smoking some chicken wings. Takes about 40 minutes and they are pretty awesome! I wish they sold smoked wings at bars and restuarants and such.

Same experience here. I modified my really cheap Brinkman "egg" (not THAT green egg) with larger openings in the pan and it works perfect. Have no prob with holding temp or anything. When I smoke things that take longer than just 2-3 hours I just check every once in a while, certainly not 1-2x /hour. Mine was $40 and def serves its purpose quite well even though I wouldn't mind having a larger smoker that has more 'advance' features :)

I've been thinking about this at the Depot...

9e16711f-5343-4fb4-89b0-cd327e1f58c1_300.jpg

$160, not too bad and I've got a $100 gift card to Depot to spend anyway (not that I wouldn't use the money on stuff regardless). Kinda like Dude's smoker, which seemed to do a pretty good job (although we were having some challenges with temp contol). Feels MUCH more substantial than the sub-$100 models.

That is the smoker that I own and use. I love it. Someone else mentioned that they had heard that side-mounted fire boxes are hard to control, but I find this MUCH easier to control than the cylindrical Brinkman that I used to have (and gave a way). I hold a steady 225 degrees for as long as I need pretty easily with lump charcoal and (insert your favorite type) wood chips.

That little Brinkman was always a pain to keep a consistent temperature, and I found that with a couple slabs of ribs in it, that I was pretty much at max capacity. It also has very poor air flow.

I've heard that the outside firebox design smokers are on the tough side to control. I've never used one so I wouldn't know first hand.
Not all of us can have the Big Green Egg...

yep its a *****- But then again I have to deal with 20-50 degree ambient temps outside. Hotter places do better with side fires.

Latest posts

Back