bring to boil after steeping and before dme addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

straycat

Reaction score
why do i need to bring the pot to a boil after steeping grains and before i remove from heat to add dme? is there some chemical reaction that happens or can i just go from steeping grains, to adding dme then bring to boil and add hops per schedule?

why do i need to bring the pot to a boil after steeping grains and before i remove from heat to add dme? is there some chemical reaction that happens or can i just go from steeping grains, to adding dme then bring to boil and add hops per schedule?

The only issue I can see is that if the water isn't hot enough, you may have trouble getting your DME to mix in, and if it doesn't get mixed in, it could scorch on the bottom of the pan. That said, I don't THINK you'd have that problem, since the water is hot from steeping, so just don't turn the heat on until you get the DME all mixed in.

To be honest, you could steep your grains then bring to a boil, start your first hops, and add the DME later on. People do this will LME all the time, its called late-extract.

If I'm remembering correctly, late addition of extracts effects hop utilization. Lower gravity of boiling wort decreases hop utilization, I think. Can't remember off the top of my head. Late addition is useful for getting a very light color though.

If I'm remembering correctly, late addition of extracts effects hop utilization. Lower gravity of boiling wort decreases hop utilization, I think. Can't remember off the top of my head. Late addition is useful for getting a very light color though.

I know that in the past, it was thought that the lower gravity wort increased hops utilization, but I thought that forum wisdom had moved away from that idea (much like the idea that you should always use a secondary).

Steep, then add DME, then boil. Or steep, add some DME, boil, then add remaing DME, finish boil. Or steep, boil, add DME last part of boil. No need for two boils

Right, it doesn't matter when you add your DME. I always steeped, boiled then added my DME. then boiled again to start the 60min clock. But I found the DME to foam/bubble too much in the beginning, so I started adding it around the 170-180 degree mark and it mixes in well, and though it does foam up, I can control it a little better.
But late additions is something to look into if you haven't done it.

I steep at 160 or so, then when done I heat up to about 180 then add my DME. After it's added I bring to a boil and add the hops.

After the first time I had a boil over I decided to start doing the DME before the boil.

Rev.

Back