Bring OYL-605 Back From the Dead, Or Not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodmfish

Reaction score
I bought several packs of OYL-605 last March of which I just found the last one in the fridge. I've brought old yeast back to life by stepping up starters. Do the same principles apply with lacto? Or, should I just toss it and buy new?

If you have a way to measure pH, I'd try a starter. Lacto doesn't have a great visual indicator that it's working, but it does get hazy. Do you trust tasting your starter, or go by visual haziness? Otherwise, pH drop will tell you it's ok.

I'm gonna give it a whirl and see what happens. I've never tasted a lacto starter so I wouldn't know what revived viability tastes like. I guess it's up to the visuals and the pH meter.

I'm gonna give it a whirl and see what happens. I've never tasted a lacto starter so I wouldn't know what revived viability tastes like. I guess it's up to the visuals and the pH meter.
Old post but had the same question. How did this work out for you

Just in case anyone is interested I contacted omega and they said the yeast is probably dead after a year. Guess I'll just buy some probiotics. Much cheaper

Just in case anyone is interested I contacted omega and they said the yeast is probably dead after a year. Guess I'll just buy some probiotics. Much cheaper

Of course they did. They want you to buy more bacteria (not yeast)

Willing to bet it’s still alive. People revive lacto from bottled beer that’s waaaaay older and a way more hostile environment than the starter pack.

If you want to see whether the bacteria are alive, just make a starter. Simple.

On the other hand, L. plantarum probiotics are cheap and very reliable, so that's never a bad option.
https://***************.com/wiki/Sour_beer

If you want to see whether the bacteria are alive, just make a starter. Simple.

On the other hand, L. plantarum probiotics are cheap and very reliable, so that's never a bad option.
Sour beer - **************** wiki
How would I go about making a starter with L. Plantarum. Is oxygen a big issue. I'm thinking no stir plate. Would I need an airlock on the flask or just covering it with aluminum foil be acceptable.

How would I go about making a starter with L. Plantarum. Is oxygen a big issue. I'm thinking no stir plate. Would I need an airlock on the flask or just covering it with aluminum foil be acceptable.
Make some normal starter wort, chill, and add the culture. It does not need to be stirred. Either airlock or foil are ok.
Normally when making a Lacto starter you'd want to add calcium carbonate, which helps boost the cell count significantly, but that isn't need in this case sine you just want to know whether it's alive.

If you have a pH meter you'll be able to determine definitively whether it's alive by testing immediately after adding the culture and then again after a couple days. Otherwise you can tell by turbidity (cloudiness) and/or the smell (it should give an aroma).

Thanks. I'll try it and see what happens. Nice wiki by the way. Alot of good info thats precise and to the point.

I had a starter made from some for over 6 months and it was fine.

Back