Brillo Pad scratches Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigo

Reaction score
So I used a brillo pad to get off the rest of the label glue and it scratched the glass of the bottle. Didn't see that one coming. Lesson learned.

No frigging way you should use that on glass or a windshield unless you want to replace it as it's to agressive!. Use 0000 (4/0) steel wool to remove any nasty items off glass without scratching the surface unless you need a solvent or thinner to cut this foreign matter. What solvents do not remove use a water base, a strong water base cleaner if required as many items needing to be removed that are petroleum not water based.

Found out a LONG time ago in the aviation industry... To remove sticker goo, grab some of the wife/GF's AVON skin so soft. Soak the sticker goo for a bit and wipe it up with a paper towel... I even got it approved to use on the Space Station for MLI removal.

Stuff works!

paint remover for aviation aircraft that's not sold to the public will remove about everything including people who now reside in the Nevada Desert taking a long dirt nap.

Got that right! I've used some stuff that would melt the tarmac under my feet... That's why I finally started using the AVON... Besides, it smells so feminine! :)

Paint Gone Number 5, eats skin and burns like hell within 5 seconds.
Best part was the aircrafts paint began to blister then fell off 5' or 10 seconds
past the brushing. Not your local Jasco hardware EPA friendly they sell to you
that you can about drink. Hey "AirDale".

used some goo b gone...but will try those suggestions on some other bottles. thanks everyone

i had to use a brillo pad on some brooklyn black chocolate stout bottles. didn't seem to scratch them. maybe it was a different grade steel whool or something. also, i had a container of automotive adhesive remover that i had used and it will peel those pesky labels off in about 2 seconds.

Back