Bright, fresh, hoppy IPA from old beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newton

Reaction score
So I'd like to have a couple of batches of nice IPA this summer, one in June and one in July...but I'm usually way too busy in the summer to do much brewing. So here's what I'm thinking of doing:

1. Brewing and filling (right now when I have the time) 2 kegs (to 4 gallons full each) of a decent IPA base beer...some bittering hops, 2 row, chrystal...maybe some honey malt or something to make things interesting

2. Letting the kegs sit in cold storage for a few months.

3. Brewing a 1 gallon super hoppy batch (extract to save time) and krausening each keg on demand.

This way I think I can have fresh IPA when I want it without doing extended, full equipment brewing sessions when I don't have the time. Anybody try anything like this?

you would be cold storing wort or a fermented beer? sounds like more work than just making the time to brew (4-6hrs?), an extract batch would be quicker and more of a sure thing than rolling out months old wort/beer to freshen up with hops. i wouldn't do this but i'd like to watch it happen.

I'd be cold storing fermented beer and krausening with fermenting beer. The krausen batch would only be a 10 minute boil and should cool very quick due to the low volume. The 2 4 gallon batches would come from one brew day.

Back