Briess roast barley 300L vs Bairds 550L

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoochin'Fool

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Turns out I'm way short on my Briess light-roasted-barley 300L, but I've got plenty of Baird's roasted-barley 550L. Is there a big difference in flavor? I have tried munching a few kernels of each grain, but it wasn't very informative...

I use 500~600 black barley in my imperial chocolate stout, and have also included some 300 in a pinch, and I would say the difference is the darker roast will have a more intense burnt character. Not a huge character difference, but being in possession of the well-used taste buds of a septuagenarian I happen to enjoy things that are "even more intense" so I would not be adverse to using the darker roast as a sub for the lighter. If that doesn't sound like your wheelhouse I'd cut the dark roast in half...

Cheers!

Went to my not-so-local LHBS to pick some up (it's a 60 minute drive, but was taking my spouse to a doctor's appointment nearby, so it was really only about 15 minutes out of the way), and I watched as the person who was in front of me take the very last of the 300L roasted barley, and the owner said "sorry, we're completely out"! 🤬

Since I like a big roast profile in my stouts, I prefer a darker one; 300L is lighter than most chocolate malt. I have to be sure to ask for it though as my LHBS defaults to the 300L unless specified. The first time it happened I thought they gave me the wrong stuff...

Since I like a big roast profile in my stouts, I prefer a darker one; 300L is lighter than most chocolate malt. I have to be sure to ask for it though as my LHBS defaults to the 300L unless specified. The first time it happened I thought they gave me the wrong stuff...
I like a big roasty stout as well, but my recipe (which is close to perfect, in my mind) already has a lot of roast:
5% light roast 300L
5% chocolate 350L
3% black 550L

It'd probably be fine if I used the dark roasted barley at 5% and dropped the black to zero, but I don't want to change anything!

Back