Briess Extract Contains Carapils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS68

Reaction score
Looking at the info sheets on Briess's webpage, I see their extracts already contain some Carapils malt, though it doesn't really say how much. What, if any, effect would this have on formulating a recipe?
Thanks!

Chris

You could try contacting them for a response on exactly how much carapils is involved. I've seen information about Alexanders & Muntons, but not on Briess yet.

Are you talking about the base 2-row Briess product? I see they have a product that is Carapils only.

Are you talking about their DME/LME? In terms of recipe formulations you don't take it into consideration. Most of the brewing software I've played with just treats it as extract. The only consideration is the color...ie Amber, Dark, etc.

I recently emailed them to find what percentage of carapils is in their DME, but haven't received an answer yet. When I do I'll post it. I have noticed that it finishes higher than Muntons does.

Thanks everybody. I kinda figured it would be somewhere between negligible and a non-issue.

Chris

Back