Quantcast

Briess CBW Porter Recipe

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

polysage

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have received 6.6 pounds of Briess CBW Porter extract. I am looking for a very simple recipe to make a Porter with this extract. Does anyone have a simple porter (extract\partial extract) that I can use to make a quick batch with 6.6 pounds of this extract?

Thanks

OP
P

polysage

Reaction score
What did you end up brewing?
I have not had time to brew anything, I came down with the flu and was out for the count. But I will be brewing a batch based on the Brewers best kits coffee porter.

irontodd

Reaction score
Flu has indeed been nasty this year. Good luck with th porter!

Passito

Reaction score
I personally like coconut porter. Just add 1 pound of coconut flakes from grocery store pre roasted in oven 350 degrees 10 minutes.

Also consider upping your abv %. Only 6.6 Lme is too weak for a proper porter. Consider adding 1-2 pounds Dme, molasses and or brown sugar to give it a kick up.

MT2sum

Reaction score
Brewers best uses this in their porter kits. I've made the coffee porter http://www.brewersbestkits.com/assets/1027-2016-coffee-porter-recipe.pdf and was really happy with it. I let it sit in the fermenter for 4 or five weeks before bottling.
The spice pack they reference was simply 4.5 oz of medium grind coffee.
They must be out of business - I clicked on the link and got this:
Error
This domain name has just been registered.

Why is this page displayed?
If anyone has a copy of this recipe, I'd appreciate a PM or a post of it here so's I (and others) can see it.
Thanks
UPdate: I found their website, which as the recipes on PDF here - http://www.brewersbestkits.com/premium-kits.html

Last edited:
OP
P

polysage

Reaction score
They must be out of business - I clicked on the link and got this:

If anyone has a copy of this recipe, I'd appreciate a PM or a post of it here so's I (and others) can see it.
Thanks
UPdate: I found their website, which as the recipes on PDF here - http://www.brewersbestkits.com/premium-kits.html
I am glad you where able to find the recipe! I did make a variant of it and it turned out pretty good.

Northern_Brewer

British - apparently some US company stole my name
Reaction score
Also consider upping your abv %. Only 6.6 Lme is too weak for a proper porter.
What do you call a proper porter? One brewed by one of the big London breweries two hundred years ago? The Barclay Perkins TT was 4.89% from an OG of 1.053. Even their stout (ie strong porter) was only just over 6% at that time. The average of modern British porters through the labs of Brewlab was 5.0% - and that will have included some imperials to bring the average up.

By my reckoning, 6.6lb of LME fermented with S-04 will get you to about 4.8% - that's fine, no need for more fermentables unless you think you know more about porter than British professional brewers, ancient and modern.

Latest posts