Briess Carabrown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
I was at Dry Dock Brewing tonight, and had the Briess Carabrown. The bartender said it's made using a new malt from Briess of the same name, and Briess gave it to Dry Dock to test out.

The beer was fantastic. Malt was definitely forward, very carmelly, with a slight fruity aftertaste. The beer was pretty dry, yet very malty.

Bartender said there's a possibility that Briess will release it for other breweries and homebrewers... here's hoping! That was mighty tasty.

Anyone hear anything else about the malt?

I'm bumping this up because I was going to start a thread about this new malt. My buddy who runs the LHBS in town just messaged me about it.

Briess releases Carabrown® Malt, second in a series of new seasonal malts
Written By: Press release sent to Michigan Beer Guide

Date: April 13, 2010
Contact: Bernadette Wasdovitch, Marketing Communications Manager
Phone: 920.849.7711
Email: [email protected]

CHILTON, WISCONSIN—A new seasonal malt is now available from Briess Malt & Ingredients Co. Carabrown® Malt is the second malt released by Briess in its new Maltster’s Reserve Series. The Maltster’s Reserve Series offers a different malt every season for the next season’s brews. Carabrown® Malt is available now through the middle of summer for your summer and fall seasonal beers. The Maltster’s Reserve Series is a permanent addition to the Briess product line.

Carabrown® Malt, 55º Lovibond, was developed on the light side of the brown malt style in order to retain some residual sweetness while still delivering an assortment of lightly toasted flavors ranging from toasted to biscuit to nutty to graham cracker. The overall character of Carabrown® Malt is an exceptionally smooth and clean tasting malt that begins with a slightly sweet malty flavor before delivering its payload of toasted flavors, then finishing clean and somewhat dry. It contributes light brown/orange colors.

For more information on Carabrown® Malt
BrewingWithBriess.com/Products/SeasonalMalts.htm.

RECOMMENDED BEGINNING USAGE RATES
• Carabrown® Malt can be used in a wide variety of beer styles and is especially good in brown ales, porters and
stouts. Use in bitter, pale, mild and Belgian Ales, wheat beers, bock, Oktoberfest, and Scotch Ales for flavor,
complexity and color. Well suited for many beer styles for subtle flavor and color.
• 5-10% Subtle sweet malty, lightly toasted flavors and light brown/orange color contributions
• 10-15% Smooth, more accentuated toasted, biscuity, nutty, graham cracker flavors and slightly dry finish
• 15-25% More pronounced yet smooth toasted, biscuity, nutty, graham cracker flavors and slightly dry finish

I'm really interested in this malt

I just landed some ginger orange marmalade and was thinking about wanting to turn my normal wit recipe into a ginger orange wit that was a little more orange than my lemon merangue pie colored "normal" wit. So I'm thinking about tossing in some in the 5-10% range to see if it will work out. It does say it can be used in wits.

But I am really interested in tweaking my Old Bog Road Brown Ale recipe. Which I realize I haven't brewed in maybe 2 years? So it;s about time.

Anyone worked with this yet or am I gonna be the pioneer? It's coming into my buddies shop in next weeks order and I plan on brewing next friday.

Definitely sounds like an interesting malt. I want to try it in an American Brown.

Eric

He also told me about the next seasonal release.

CARACRYSTAL WHEAT MALT

• Caracrystal® Wheat Malt can be used in an extremely wide variety of beer styles for improved body, foam and foam
retention, flavor and color. Recommended for all beer styles using caramel malts such as IPAs, Pale Ales, low
alcohol beers, wheat beers, Bock beers, and session beers. Use in any beer style for smooth, subtle flavor.
• 5-10% Subtle sweet, malty, bready, caramel flavor and light golden color contributions
• 10-15% Sweet and smooth, malty, bready, subtle caramel flavor and golden to light orange color contributions
• 15-25% Malty, warm bread, subtle caramel/toffee flavor and orange to mahogany color contributions.

Looks like I'd need more of this to achieve the color I want in my wit, which it appears would increase the bready-ness as well which I don't really want. . And Todd's not sure if it's available yet. Though he placed it on this weeks order to his supplier, so we'll see.

It will be fun to play with this. We do SMaSH beers, I think I may try some Double Malt and Single Hop beers when I get my hands on these malts. Maybe 2 2.5 gallon batches, each with 5# of 2-row and 1 pound of the mystery malt.

Too much going on in my life to really pay attention. I've been drinking the beer, and it tastes good. But I probably used too little to have any noticeable effect on the taste. Maybe this weekend I'll take a pic or something.

Bringing this thread back to life with a question. My LHBS has this available and thinks it's the same as brown malt. Is this true?

It's really important because I want to brew a Brown Porter and brown malt is pretty critical to the style. Anyone know for sure if it's just a Briess version of Brown Malt?

I just read the write up on Briess and it still doesn't give me the answer I'm looking for. Hoping someone here knows. Thanks.

Bringing this thread back to life with a question. My LHBS has this available and thinks it's the same as brown malt. Is this true?

It's really important because I want to brew a Brown Porter and brown malt is pretty critical to the style. Anyone know for sure if it's just a Briess version of Brown Malt?

Carabrown® Malt was developed on the light side of the brown malt style in order to retain some residual sweetness while still delivering an assortment of lightly toasted flavors ranging from toasted to biscuity to nutty to graham cracker. The overall character of Carabrown® Malt is an exceptionally smooth and clean tasting malt that begins withh

So yes and no...Carabrown IS of the Brown Malt family, but is it the "brown malt" that was talked about in older brewing recipes? NO.

Will it work in a Porter? Yeah.

So yes and no...Carabrown IS of the Brown Malt family, but is it the "brown malt" that was talked about in older brewing recipes, NO.

Will it work in a Porter? Yeah.

Lol. I knew when I came back to the site you would have already found this. I didn't find it the first time I searched but I just headed back to post the link.

Damn you're quick! Thanks man.:mug:

Lol. I knew when I came back to the site you would have already found this. I didn't find it the first time I searched but I just headed back to post the link.

Damn you're quick! Thanks man.:mug:

Just got back from lunch.

One thing you need to figure out if they are going to go with that and not "regular" brown malt, is what the SRM's of the original are. If you want to match the color of the porter, you may have to double or whatever the amount of carabrown you use.

This chart from the pdf may help'

RECOMMENDED BEGINNING USAGE RATES
• Carabrown® Malt can be used in a wide variety of beer styles and is especially good in brown ales, porters and
stouts. Use in bitter, pale, mild and Belgian Ales, wheat beers, bock, Oktoberfest, and Scotch Ales for flavor,
complexity and color. Well suited for many beer styles for subtle flavor and color.
• 5-10% Subtle sweet malty, lightly toasted flavors and light brown/orange color contributions
• 10-15% Smooth, more accentuated toasted, biscuity, nutty, graham cracker flavors and slightly dry finish
• 15-25% More pronounced yet smooth toasted, biscuity, nutty, graham cracker flavors and slightly dry finish

Just got back from lunch.

One thing you need to figure out if they are going to go with that and not "regular" brown malt, is what the SRM's of the original are. If you want to match the color of the porter, you may have to double or whatever the amount of carabrown you use.

This chart from the pdf may help'

Thanks Revvy. I'm committed to finding real Brown Malt this time around. Is Thomas Fawcett the only producer of this malt nowadays?

Isn't this a crystal malt and not the actual brown malt available form Hugh-Baird, Crisp, etc? I wouldn't think they are interchangeable.

I know. I was referring to the carabrown. The "cara" part making it a crystal malt and not "brown malt" (essentially a base malt toasted to a brown color).

I read that whole thing too fast. My bad.

Bumping this thread with hope some more information has come forward over the years. I am working on an Am Brown ale and would like to use this in recipe. My recent iteration was based on English Brown with a bit of chocolate. The uncarbonated beer seemed lacking in body/ flavor and I realized it had no crystal in the grain bill. Wondering if this might work. Experience, thoughts 🤔

Back