Briess Amber Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobdee

Reaction score
According to the Briess Malting site their amber extract is made with base malt, caramel 60 and Munich. Does anyone know what the percentage of these are per pound? I'm guessing more base malt than the other two? I guess if it's 1/3 of each you wouldn't want to use it without diluting it with some light extract?

It would be nice to know a little more info for their malts so you could mix and match to fine tune some purely extract brews without any grains.

Also anyone know if their extract is made with 2 row or 6 row?

You have just nailed the main issue with using anything but the lightest extract. You simply don't know what else is in there and in what quantity. Better to use light extract and steep specialty grain, or even better, do a partial mash with specialty grains.

2-row or 6-row should not make any difference for extract.

Well, at least Briess gives you a little info, sure would be nice if they gave more. Why not more specialty extracts like different crystals, chocolate, Vienna, ext? Briess does make a 50/50 Munich/base extract that makes a nice Oktoberfest.

I'll probably end up going back to AG for more control but sure like the short easy brew days that extract gives me and it does make great beers.

Back