Brewtan B Substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

aeviaanah

Reaction score
Having a hard time finding brewtan B in stock at commercial sized packaging. Anyone know of a place to purchase or a substitute?

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
Commercial sized? I don't know the answer, but have you tried asking Wyeast?

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
Isn't BtB a type of tannic acid powder? If it is you can get that by the ton pretty cheep.

It's a type of tannic acid, but not all tannic acids are created equal. For example, two Wyeast products, both of which are Tannic Acid ("powders"):

Brewtan B: Promotes Clarity (among other things)
Tanal A: Promotes Haze

cmac62

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's a type of tannic acid, but not all tannic acids are created equal. For example, two Wyeast products, both of which are Tannic Acid ("powders"):

Brewtan B: Promotes Clarity (among other things)
Tanal A: Promotes Haze
Thanks VikeMan, I figured it wasn't that easy, but hope springs eternal. :mug: What I was looking at when I googled Tannic
acid was from gall nuts (or something like that) and I thought that might be similar to BtB.

SanPancho

Reaction score
gallotannin is what you get with BtB. i could have sworn i saw it being sold somewhere on homebrew level/quantity but i cant remember where

you can also try elageic acid, which is pomegranate extract. does something similar.

worst case send me pm and few bucks i'll mail you some if you're really coming up blank

cmac62

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
gallotannin is what you get with BtB. i could have sworn i saw it being sold somewhere on homebrew level/quantity but i cant remember where

you can also try elageic acid, which is pomegranate extract. does something similar.

worst case send me pm and few bucks i'll mail you some if you're really coming up blank
Pancho, I think the OP is looking for Commercial sized packaging. LOL :mug:

Andre3000

Reaction score
Ask and ye shall receive:

Edit: I am an idiot. Read your post wrong 🤦‍♂️