Brews that get better with age.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodHokie4

Reaction score
I just opened the last bottle of my Belgian Tripple tonight and it was way better than the first bottle i had almost 2 years ago. I know that most heavy and/or dark beers get better with bottle/secondary conditioning to mellow out the flavors, but was just pleasantly surprised to be able to recognize the difference.

What beers have you brewed that you found improved with age?

So far all of 'em! But I don't have any that have aged that long.

Even 2IPAs, which I thought needed to be downed within a couple months, have been great when I find them in the back of the fridge 8 months later. Just seems like everything is settled, the beer is clearer and more crisp.

An octoberfest that I primed with candy corn. There were alot of residual pieces floating around but after about 4 more weeks the floaters dissolved and the beer had more of a taste of candy corn, just a hint.

For the most part, "bigger" beers age extremely well. In a barley wine, a little oxidation is actually nice so it improves even better than most.

I've noticed that Russian Imperial Stouts, barley wines, and tripels seem to age the best for me.

Last week I opened my last 2 bottles of Houblon Chouffe Clone. About 14 months from brewing. They were excellent, wish I had left more to mature. Ready to make more.

Belgians...

Tripels are good with some age but reach a point where they do not improve. BDSA's will contine to improve with age. I have a few that just continue to amaze me when I open one up with some more age.

Thanks for all the great conversation!

Anyone ever hear of this working the same with a dunkelweisen?

Thanks for all the great conversation!

Anyone ever hear of this working the same with a dunkelweisen?

No. Dunkelweizens are best about three weeks after brewing, and then fade relatively quickly. It's all about a lower OG beer, with lots of yeast character, and mit hefe (yeast in suspension). It doesn't age well.

No. Dunkelweizens are best about three weeks after brewing, and then fade relatively quickly. It's all about a lower OG beer, with lots of yeast character, and mit hefe (yeast in suspension). It doesn't age well.

I hope it's not at a peak at 3 weeks after brewing...I had it sit in the primary for a week and then secondary for 2 weeks. It's been sitting in bottles for about 2 weeks since then was planning to wait another 2 or 3 weeks before i gave it to people for christmas gifts...

glad to know that it doesn't age well...i was going to hang on to a bottle or two to let it condition for a while to let it get good...thanks for the heads up!

I hope it's not at a peak at 3 weeks after brewing...I had it sit in the primary for a week and then secondary for 2 weeks. It's been sitting in bottles for about 2 weeks since then was planning to wait another 2 or 3 weeks before i gave it to people for christmas gifts...

glad to know that it doesn't age well...i was going to hang on to a bottle or two to let it condition for a while to let it get good...thanks for the heads up!

I've never used a secondary for a weizen and I actually never knew anybody who did, so that's a new thought for me.

But yes, I meant 3 weeks after brewday. I would bottle most weizens at about day 10, and enjoy them as soon as they are carbed up.

It'll still be good, certainly, for a few weeks later, and even when it reaches peak it will stay quite enjoyable for a while.

Back