Brewpubs and such in NYC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffersonJ

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm staying in the West Village for most of this week about I'll be in Brooklyn and throughout the city as well. I'm having a hard time finding any good brewpubs or good beer bars worth going to. Any advice?

Brooklyn Brewery is more-or-less closed during the week and the Chelsea Brewing Co. looks a bit dated to the beer culture of the 90s. I'd love any other recommendations.

Heartland Brewery is decent though a bit pricey. They have a few locations in Manhattan.

These aren't brew pubs, but they are great places to get beer in NYC:

Loreley (http://www.loreleynyc.com/): German restaurant/beer garden. They have a lot of delicious German beer, on tap - Kolsch, Schwarzbeir, Hefewizen, lots of Pilsners - and even more in the bottle. If you are interested at all in German beers, here's a good place to try many varieties. Foods good, too. Sit out back.

Taproom 307 ( http://www.taproom307.com/): Basically a neighborhood bar, but with an enormous rotating group of great craft beers on tap. They tend to have a lot of local stuff (Kelso, Coney Island, Sixpoint), so if you want to drink local, they're good. Foods not bad either. FYI - they are a sports bar, and cater a bit to the bridge-and-tunnel crowd, so they can be busy after work. Great on weekends, though.

Blind Tiger Ale House (http://www.blindtigeralehouse.com/): THE famous beer place in NYC - loads of stuff on tap, loads of stuff in bottles. Can be crowded and scene-y.

dba (http://www.drinkgoodstuff.com/): Local bar on the LES with lots of beer on tap and in bottles. Haven't been in a while, but I don't remember is being super crowded.

Not a bar, but fun to visit: the Beer Room at the Bowery Whole Foods (Bowery and Houston). A CRAP TON of beer, as well as six rotating beers on tap that they sell in growlers (no drinking in the store, unfortunately), and a small amount of homebrew stuff. Lots of single bottles if you have a frig in your hotel.

And if you like bourbon, I recommend Char No 4 in Brooklyn - a couple of stops in on the F, and they smoke their own bacon in house. Delicious!

Oh, and if you are going slightly more upscale: Daniel Boulud's DBGB has a great selection of beers, mostly in bottles, but 22 on tap. Its one of his cheaper places (though cheap is relative, here in NYC), but they have a "Beer and a Dog at the Bar" Special with a draft beer and a house-made hot dog for $10 if you sit at the bar. This place specializes in house-made sausages, and the hamburger here is amazing: The Piggy has pulled pork on it, and because they chop the hamburger in house, its one of the few places I'm willing to get a really rare burger. Lots of relatively rare, hard-to-find beer on the beer menu, though they aren't embarrassed to charge for it, either. Also, its very close to the Whole Foods Bowery Beer Room.

I strongly second DBGB. As far as beer spots go I also really like Jimmy's No. 43 (good selection and has a little history behind the space) and Little Town NYC (they serve only in state brewed beer I believe). I don't know why I can't think of more off the top of my head. I'll have to ask my buds and get back to you.

While you're here you might also want to stop into McSorley's, and if you happen to end up near Astoria: Bohemia Hall. That place was old when my grandmother lived nearby 70 years ago.

Bierkraft in Brooklyn is a good spot, make sure to get a sandwich!

Also the Gingerman near MSG is good, very crowded though. Rattle N Hum, pony bar. All great spots!

Nothing like Staten Island being the forgotten borough....this must change!!!!!

TY Mike, I forgot to put that! Killmeyers will be worth the trip especially if you are in the mood for good German food.

I'll be their Saturday. Beer sticks, spicy mustard and awesome german beer. I'm already pitching a tent thinkng about it. Hey Kirk, wanna meet up? ;)

No NYC expert having only been there twice on day trips but I did stumble across the Gingerman in Manhattan and was glad I did... will try to make it back the next time I end up in the Big Apple.

Werbi

Thanks all! We ended up at Blind Tiger last night as its only a couple blocks from where we're staying (7th Ave and 10th St). Had a couple brews we don't get our way (we get Ommegang but I've never seen the Aphrodite - it was excellent).

I'll return back if we find ourselves at any of the other suggestions here.

The Belgian Room all the way down near Tompkins Square Park on St. Marks is a damn good Belgian beer bar! Their frites (French fries) are ridiculous.

Edit-and on Tues and Thurs, you get free fries with beer purchases!

Heartland Brewery is decent though a bit pricey. They have a few locations in Manhattan.

I wouldn't say they are pricey, at least not compared to the other places close by. ( I just assumed all NYC was that expensive :D). Found most of the brews to be 'ok', but loved the oatmeal stout.

Back