Brewpub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawdanny

Reaction score
I'm a home brewer like all of you, I have a lot experience running businesses managing people etc and have money to open most anything but I've only been brewing for short whille,,,, and thinking about opening a brew pub we only have two in my area both are very busy daily and their beers are plain nothing special any thoughts from experienced brewers here thanks you

I know many homebrewers that want to start a brewpub, or brew commercially. And from many who started, they say they wish they would have had more business experience, so it sounds like you are on the right track. In my experience, liquor license laws are a bit cumbersome, and take a long time to get approval.

You will have to find a space and do the surveys for licensing, but securing the capital has to be one of the first steps.

Also, the volume you will be brewing is very important, unless you don't mind brewing every single day to keep a taproom flowing.

The brewing network has great podcasts about brewing commercially or starting a nano/micro, so check out a few of those.

This is a very general response obviously, there are tons of details you will have to work out. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your reply, yes in my area the two that are here and really packed daily. I'm new to brewing beer but I'm making good batches, I feel like it's like any business, branding , good service, clean place. Most beer I tried from around here is just beer, nothing super special, also where I live all you need is a beer license so much cheaper then a 4cop thanks for your reply !

Brewpubs mean you have to make good beer and good food. As mentioned, lots of licensing and inspection issues.

If you're really interested, work at one in your off time- weekends, evenings. If you open your own, you'll be working many and long days, but working for someone else you'll have much less risk. See if you like it by jumping in that water. And learn all the inside secrets. Become a manager. Then, you're 80% there to doing it yourself, it's not such a big leap.

And if it's not for you, you haven't invested more than your own time. And you actually made some money in the process.

Thanks a lot for your reply, yes in my area the two that are here and really packed daily. I'm new to brewing beer but I'm making good batches, I feel like it's like any business, branding , good service, clean place. Most beer I tried from around here is just beer, nothing super special, also where I live all you need is a beer license so much cheaper then a 4cop thanks for your reply !

Whole lot of federal paperwork you'll have to work through as well. Head over to probrewer.com a lot more info there and knowledge of the ins and outs of owing/operating a brewery.

Latest posts

Back