BrewPi Remix – What’s Old is New Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, just for adding new data.
I have prepared one of the new mini d1 purchase batch. The result is the same.
On the other hand, I see that now the firmware does not matter and what I install, when I click the button "refresh device list" it never recognizes any of the installed probes.
Would it be useful to start a clean installation by setting up a single chambre?

see that now the firmware does not matter and what I install, when I click the button "refresh device list" it never recognizes any of the installed probes.
That suggests a wiring issue.

Would it be useful to start a clean installation by setting up a single chambre?
Perhaps. We can also test without probes since all we are trying to do is get the controller to save a configuration.

What do the logs say?
I didn't see anything new from the update when I looked at the logs. I don't have time to mess with it now. Were going away for a few days. I'll have to get back with you when we get back.

Try with sudo.
I did, of course.

That's to be expected if the script is not running. The controller is still doing it's job

I switched over to a card with Fermentrack on it to complete this ferment. I'll get back with you after the 10th when I can spend some time on it.

I didn't see anything new from the update when I looked at the logs. I don't have time to mess with it now. Were going away for a few days. I'll have to get back with you when we get back.
If it's not connecting to the controller (which is why the script will not start,) there's something there.

I switched over to a card with Fermentrack on it to complete this ferment. I'll get back with you after the 10th when I can spend some time on it.
Oh sure, kick me while I'm down. :p

I'll be here, would like to see the contents of both of the stderr.txt and stdout.txt. You can PM them to me here.

Hello,
today I was able to dedicate some time to this.
I have reconfigured my wiring, using "protoboard"
I have reinstalled brewpiremix as single chambre.
I see that the installation asks 2 new questions. I don't know what they mean but I answer "yes"
I'm going to configure the config.cfg file. the file does not contain anything. I add the line "port = socket: //192.168.168.143: 23" (with the ip of my Mini D1). Save the file.
In the new installation of my hardware I have installed 3 probes and 1 ssr. It does not recognize any of the 3 Probes, nor does it install the ssr.
Now I don't know what else to try. I am very lost.
ideas?
Thank you.

Would you please take a picture of your wiring? It is not a question of whether you did it right, it may be that documentation is wrong and we are losing something in the Google Translate. :)

Would you also please attach your /home/brewpi/logs/stdout.txt and /home/brewpi/logs/stderr.txt?

Hello,
Sure. This shouldn't be so much of a problem. I am sure there is something basic that is wrong and I am checking as ok.
wiring.jpg

Attachments

• stdout.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 10
  • stderr.txt
    6.4 KB · Views: 9
d1 mini only with the power connected. I get the same answer.
onlipower.jpg

Well, we've ruled out almost everything. When I got done today I'll line up the commands mine sends and see if they are the same.

Hello,
today I was able to dedicate some time to this.
I have reconfigured my wiring, using "protoboard"
I have reinstalled brewpiremix as single chambre.
I see that the installation asks 2 new questions. I don't know what they mean but I answer "yes"
I'm going to configure the config.cfg file. the file does not contain anything. I add the line "port = socket: //192.168.168.143: 23" (with the ip of my Mini D1). Save the file.
In the new installation of my hardware I have installed 3 probes and 1 ssr. It does not recognize any of the 3 Probes, nor does it install the ssr.
Now I don't know what else to try. I am very lost.
ideas?
Thank you.

When you are installing the SSR pin, what exactly happens? What do the logs show?

Oh my goodness. I'm going to hell for putting you on this path ... Sorry Lee, don't hate me for that ...:eek::eek::eek:

I made you install fermentrack. The horrors.
It's like a little game of "just the tip." Now I've got freaking Docker installed.

The good news, however, is I think I've found the issue. Somewhere along the way BrewPi and Fermentracl diverged on the JSON format. It's interesting because I am running an ESP8266 right now and I had trouble reproducing the issue. That said, I know where it is and @Thorrak and I will put our heads together to figure it out to ensure backward-compatibility.

Hey there. The last two times I did an update with the provided update file the system stopped working. The symptom is that I cannot start the script. I just reinstalled everything for a second time in order to get it working again. Any idea what could be wrong? I am afraid to update this pi again

If you know where the logs are kept, I would need to see those. If not, I can give you the location when I get home.

Last edited:
Okay, I need to know the contents of /home/brewpi/logs/stdout.txt and /home/brewpi/logs/stderr.txt.

For grins, if you just want to try something, try these two commands:
Bash:
sudo /home/brewpi/utils/doPerms.sh
sudo reboot now
After it reboots check again and see what happens.

Okay, I need to know the contents of /home/brewpi/logs/stdout.txt and /home/brewpi/logs/stderr.txt.

For grins, if you just want to try something, try these two commands:
Bash:
sudo reboot now
After it reboots check again and see what happens.

I had to do the uninstallation first before installing again so I guess those logs got deleted?

You want me to execute those commands and then check the log files?
I guess the doPerms.sh is executed after the update script so maybe something's wrong there?

If you have already reinstalled then there's no reason. In the future, try doPerms.sh when you have issues starting. That's pretty much Penicillin.

Thanck. When I am at home, I will try to do a new installation and test what you tell me in your last post.

Hello, after doing the installation with the sequence that you have indicated, I still have problems. I have been capturing all the screens that I have believed appropriate or suggested a question:
-Wifi acces point: I answer yes. This point is quite recent. what is it for?
msginstallation1.jpg

- unable to ... I have no idea what this is. I answer yes.
msginstallation2.jpg

- End of installation
msginstallation3.jpg

- I am looking for the ip of my ESP8266.
msginstallation6.jpg

- file settings.cfg. It is empty. This is the configuration that I write.
msginstallation4.jpg

- I check ping access.
msginstallation7.jpg

- Test result with ESP8266 only powered.
msginstallation5.jpg

Wifi acces point: I answer yes. This point is quite recent. what is it for?
@day_trippr pointed out a workflow (likely he's the only one :p) where having this daemon running was not optimal. I moved it to be optional. It's a small daemon that checks the WiFi connectivity and reconnects if needed. Something like this was part of the original BrewPi and I ported it over.

Test result with ESP8266 only powered.
That result looks like there are two things hitting the device. Do you have another Pi or installation (maybe Fermentrack?) that's also connected?

Hello, It is true that I always start from the same system restoration. If the problem is earlier, we could be working on a problem without knowing it. I have reviewed my procedure prior to starting point. My installation only consists of 1- Linux installation. 2- install xrdp server (sudo apt-get install xrdp) 3- install Remote.it services After this I made the backup with the system prepared to connect well with all possible means. Do you think any of this could cause problems?

Do you think any of this could cause problems?
No, that is fine. We will get you fixed.

Can you please look in your /home/brewpi/logs/stderr.log and /home/brewpi/logs/stdout.log during that time? It would be good to post both so I can fully review.

Hello,
Here are the files. It seems that the only recurring message is a problem opening the serial port.
2021-04-12 22:38:12 [E] Starting BrewPi.
Error(s) while opening serial port:
Could not find compatible serial device.

Attachments

• stdout.txt
    149 bytes · Views: 7
  • stderr.txt
    111.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
You can see the configuration in post # 185. the file only has one line with the configuration of my ip. ESP responds to Ping. Today there is nothing new configured.

0.7.5 Bug Fix Release

The primary changes in this release address a rather frustrating bug that prevented users of BrewPi ESP8266 controllers from saving device configurations.

Secondarily, users who choose to install both BrewPi Remix and Fermentrack, or any other project which may use a different web server, may now choose to have Apache serve pages on a different port than the default port 80.

Also, some cleaning up was done to the aliases installed by the scripts. Users may now use the command bpactivate to activate the BrewPi virtual environment when logged in as the Pi user.

Upgrading

Existing users of BrewPi Remix 0.5.3 and above may upgrade with:

Bash:
sudo /home/brewpi/utils/doUpdate.sh

If you are not on version 0.5.3 or above (or if you have no idea what version you are on,) use the following command to upgrade to the latest version:

Bash:
curl -L upgrade.brewpiremix.com | sudo bash

You must run this from within your /home/brewpi directory or from each chamber's directory in multi-chamber mode.

Details

As this is a project in several parts, below are the changes in the individual repositories.

Note: Commit conflicts caused some commits from the previous release to be re-pulled into this diff. Only the changes which were actually made since 0.7.4 are listed in the commit summaries below.

Tools

Commit Summary
  • No significant changes
File Changes
  • M bootstrap.sh (3)
  • M install.sh (32)
Patch Links
Scripts

Commit Summary
  • ba59f56 Increase initial timeout for iSpindel to one hour
  • 3a43cb9 Set iSpindel timeout to 3.5 times the interval after receiving JSON
  • 23f408e Round timeout value
  • 962ffd3 Add message to log when re-setting timeout
  • 627f7ac Fix .bash_aliases (#172, #173, #176)
  • 8a627d5 Address nginx detection (#179)
  • 13e3790 Update tool scripts descriptions
File Changes
  • M .gitignore (1)
  • M BrewPiProcess.py (4)
  • A ConvertBrewPiDevice.py (104)
  • M MigrateSettings.py (6)
  • M Tilt.py (30)
  • M autoSerial.py (12)
  • M backgroundserial.py (3)
  • M brewpi.py (260)
  • M brewpiVersion.py (10)
  • R gitHubReleases.py (1)
  • M inc/asroot.inc (6)
  • M inc/help.inc (2)
  • M programController.py (36)
  • M requirements.txt (1)
  • R terminal.py (0)
  • M tests/versionTest.py (9)
  • R updateFirmware.py (20)
  • R updater.py (0)
  • M utils/README.md (22)
  • M utils/doDepends.sh (131)
  • A utils/doFlash.sh (164)
  • M utils/doUpdate.sh (2)
Patch Links
Web UI

Commit Summary
  • 267ceb4 Use integers for device settings
  • 51307b2 Refresh devices after application
File Changes
  • M get-gitinfo.php (1)
  • M js/device-config.js (4)
Patch Links:

Hypothetically speaking, if one had installed from your dev branch, would the upgrade commands above still work?
Asking for a friend...

Cheers! ;)

Hypothetically speaking, if one had installed from your dev branch, would the upgrade commands above still work?
It will, however, it will upgrade you to the late Dev branch which may be a little more bleeding edge than you intend. :)

If anyone wants to move to master from dev (or the other way around by replacing the obvious parts) use the following:

Bash:
cd ~/brewpi-tools-rmx/
git fetch --all
git checkout master
cd /home/brewpi
sudo git fetch --all
sudo git checkout master
cd /var/www/html
sudo git fetch --all
sudo git checkout master
cd ~
sudo systemctl restart brewpi
(Multi-chamber users should modify the two paths above as well as the daemon name to fit their installation and this will need to be done once per chamber)

It's a good time to point out that the doPerms.sh script fixes a whole host of issues that you may see and I always recommend folks run it if they see strangeness. The sudo systemctl restart brewpi part restarts BrewPi, or you can always stop/start in the web UI if it's running.

At this point you will have the master branch current to the same point in time as you installed devel - which may not be the best place. To update at this point, you can issue the command from above:

Bash:

Some of the Legacy users may be thinking there used to be a script that did this, you are correct. Because of the significant changes to the application since then, that script is no longer viable in its current state. Fixing it is "on the list" however I have been prioritizing making the master branch the most viable place for users and eliminating the need to worry about swapping back and forth.

@LBussy I finally got some time to get my hardware set up for BrewPi Remix. It looks like you've merged the glycol code into the devel branch, so should I go ahead and use the firmware here?

https://github.com/brewpi-remix/brewpi-firmware-rmx/tree/devel/firmware
Do I need the devel branch of the web sever code and utilities as well or just the firmware? I don't see any obvious commits related to glycol in the former.

I finally got some time to get my hardware set up for BrewPi Remix. It looks like you've merged the glycol code into the devel branch, so should I go ahead and use the firmware here?
Pretty sure that's right. It's been a day from hell so I'll check in the AM and verify. I have not yet added it to the firmware flash script.

Do I need the devel branch of the web sever code and utilities as well or just the firmware? I don't see any obvious commits related to glycol in the former.
Right now it just zeroes out some PID values and removes the short-cycle (which has proven to be what was needed with other BrewPi derivatives.) As soon as @day_trippr quits creating bugs I can get on to what will amount to visual changes to indicate that the UI is serving glycol and some other similar changes. So, you can use Master branch of the Pi repos, and hopefully, I can get to some fun stuff soon.

0.7.6 Bug Fix Release

Th
e most important user-facing bug fixed in this release is a nagging iSpindel bug that would happen in certain circumstances like a reboot/power outage. The iSpundel value would be null and cause one of the JavaScripts to error out.

Upgrading

Existing users of BrewPi Remix 0.5.3 and above may upgrade with:
Bash:

If you are not on version 0.5.3 or above (or if you have no idea what version you are on,) use the following command to upgrade to the latest version:
Bash:
curl -L upgrade.brewpiremix.com | sudo bash

You must run this from within your /home/brewpi directory or from each chamber's directory in multi-chamber mode.

Tools

No significant changes

Scripts

Commit Summary
File Changes
Patch Links:
Web UI

No changes

Latest posts

Back