BrewPi Remix – What’s Old is New Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that's weird .. and I cannot reproduce that.

Have you rebooted?

What do you see if you isue the command: sudo systemctl status brewpi?

yes, I did a reboot
here is the status -
Screenshot from 2023-01-31 13-00-50.png

Well, the daemon is running, so that's good. What's strange is you not being able to open stderr.txt or stdout.txt. Even more strange there's no bootstrap.log in your home directory.

Have you tried to check stderr.txt or stdout.txt since rebooting?

You could try /home/brewpi/utils/doPerms.sh again, followed by sudo systemctl restart brewpi to see if it shakes anything loose.

On another "Side-Note", I do remember somewhere when downloading BPR, there is a line that asks you if your using Glycol for cooling and adjusts the PID to a tighter spec., due to the really cold water. Also I have the same overshoot in heating, with my 300 Watt 110VAC heater rod.
Where in the setup, can I say that I am using chilled water? I know I can manually do it, in the Advanced settings page, but not sure what PID numbers to change. Here is my Lager after 13 days ramping down for a slow crash and then into the Brite Tank -
Screenshot from 2023-01-31 14-34-53.png

(images removed)
Nothing about that tells me BrewPi is installed correctly. I hate to ask this but with the issues we had initially, can you start with a clean SD card again?

On another "Side-Note", I do remember somewhere when downloading BPR, there is a line that asks you if your using Glycol for cooling and adjusts the PID to a tighter spec., due to the really cold water. Also I have the same overshoot in heating, with my 300 Watt 110VAC heater rod.
Where in the setup, can I say that I am using chilled water? I know I can manually do it, in the Advanced settings page, but not sure what PID numbers to change.
That's actually a different firmware version. When we get you working again remind me and I'll find the switch to re-flash with that choice.

Where in the setup, can I say that I am using chilled water? I know I can manually do it, in the Advanced settings page, but not sure what PID numbers to change. Here is my Lager after 13 days ramping down for a slow crash and then into the Brite Tank -
View attachment 811520

Nothing about that tells me BrewPi is installed correctly. I hate to ask this but with the issues we had initially, can you start with a clean SD card again?

That's actually a different firmware version. When we get you working again remind me and I'll find the switch to re-flash with that choice.
Lee,
Do you mean CLEAN, as in wipe the Raspian Desktop also? I guess you only want to uninstall the BPR?
I did use your uninstall, option 1 and sometimes option 3 for a total uninstall. I then used your most recent command to download -
curl -L https://raw.githubusercontent.com/brewpi-remix/brewpi-tools-rmx/CVE-2022-24765/bootstrap.sh | sudo bash

Did a clean wipe format with overwrite.
Downloaded same Raspian desktop as before
Downloaded BPR with your above command (not the one at the beginning of this Thread)
Same GUI - Cannot connect to Script"
Here is something that does not mean much to me, but may be "The Problem" -
I can not get the version of my Uno R3, unless I reflash it while loading BPR, so I reflash it over again..Reflashed it many times while trying to get this working.
Now 1 other message I get upon launching the Raspian desktop -
"The Profile appears to be in use by another Chromium process (1394) on another computer (raspberrypi). Chromium has locked the profile so that it doesnt get corrupted. Unlock profile and relaunch Chromium?
I then unlock it by clicking on the tab, and launch the desktop, then type in the IP address assigned to my RPi.
I do have another RPi running my Lager now on my home Network. This has not been a problem in the past running 2 RPi's at the the same time, but now I get this message? I did use a different login name, to assign to this RPRemix... not sure if this is important, but I did assign a different name then the older one crunching along great the last 2 years (see my picture I posted on RPRemix Build. It shows my abortion of wires and my 2 RPi's (I will clean this up soon..LOL)

I do have another RPi running my Lager now on my home Network. This has not been a problem in the past running 2 RPi's at the the same time, but now I get this message? I did use a different login name, to assign to this RPRemix... not sure if this is important, but I did assign a different name then the older one crunching along great the last 2 years
Maybe we need to backup a bit and use consistent terms:

When you say you have two Pi's, they by default have the name "raspberrypi." The install script suggests you change that to somethign unique. If you did not do that then it *could* be part of the issue, I'm not sure what daemons may crap themselves on system startup.

When you say another login name assigned to RPRemix ... do you mean you tried to run it with a username other than brewpi?

I never changed the Raspian default name, and left the 2 at raspberrypi
The line on the download of RPR, that asks what login name to assign, I changed it to something different then the old Rpi running.
I "suspected" any of these two name assignments could be a problem, so today I tried to eliminate this by sudo shutdown the running Rpi, so it was dead, then I booted up the newly minted SD card with RPRemix, and the latest version of Raspian - got the same results on the GUI while the other Pi was dead

I never changed the Raspian default name, and left the 2 at raspberrypi
The line on the download of RPR, that asks what login name to assign, I changed it to something different then the old Rpi running.
That name it asks for is either the chamber (I don;t tink you are using that) or the host name. So, you did change the hsot name from raspberrypi to something else if you used that. I'm still real curious about no bootstrap.log.

I booted up the newly minted SD card with RPRemix, and the latest version of Raspian - got the same results on the GUI while the other Pi was dead
That + the combination of not being able to get the firmware version makes me wonder if this is not a ccontroller issue. Are you able to swap them to see if the problem follows the controller?

If we don't get anywhere tonight, maybe tomorrow we can set up a remote session for me to have a look.

That name it asks for is either the chamber (I don;t tink you are using that) or the host name. So, you did change the hsot name from raspberrypi to something else if you used that. I'm still real curious about no bootstrap.log.

That + the combination of not being able to get the firmware version makes me wonder if this is not a ccontroller issue. Are you able to swap them to see if the problem follows the controller?

If we don't get anywhere tonight, maybe tomorrow we can set up a remote session for me to have a look.
I will swap out a different Arduino (clone) controller and see if it works.
Question is - I assume I will have to reflash this so the script can recognize it. What command, and when, do I issue the update?

What's that now? :D

@day_trippr , I got a laugh from your #19 post on "A Brewpi Remix Build", when you said -
"I have ordered a half dozen of the screw-down style to upgrade my fleet of controllers..."
I will take my "puked up" Control box, and use some of yours, @OkieNotFromMuskogee , and @LBussy ideas on the boxes soon.....
It only took me since 1994 to now, so what is another 29 years of brewing, to update your "Box"?

I will swap out a different Arduino (clone) controller and see if it works.
Question is - I assume I will have to reflash this so the script can recognize it. What command, and when, do I issue the update?
@LBussy , "Success" almost, when I changed out the RexQualis uno R3, with another one the same Mfg.
Only issue now is the Controller orange light is constantly on and the "Script starting up" is frozen. Do I need to reflash this controller?
Also, when I am now trying to set up the temperature probes, under Device Configuration, I can not get the "Read Values" to read the probes.
This is also on the Controller side, so I need to get the "newer" controller up?
Screenshot from 2023-02-01 09-13-01.png

Last edited:
This really feels like a hardware issue Clones are notoriously challenging when it comes to recognizing the communications because there's an identifier that is queried. That said if it flashed once, the issue of recognizing it as an Uno goes out the window. What's next is making sure the serial communications work.

What you are describing sounds a lot like a serial/USB issue. There are two other tests I would take:

1. Swap a "working" card into your non-working hardware
  2. Swap a "non-working" card into working hardware

This will help isolate the service layer that is not working.

This really feels like a hardware issue Clones are notoriously challenging when it comes to recognizing the communications because there's an identifier that is queried. That said if it flashed once, the issue of recognizing it as an Uno goes out the window. What's next is making sure the serial communications work.

What you are describing sounds a lot like a serial/USB issue. There are two other tests I would take:

1. Swap a "working" card into your non-working hardware
  2. Swap a "non-working" card into working hardware

This will help isolate the service layer that is not working.
So your saying - Take my card out of the running RPi that is running a Lager now and put it into the other RPi that is stuck in "Script starting up" ?
If I F this running card up.... not so bad now, as the Lager needs moved out of the Unitank and into a Brite Tank, where I don't need the Pi working for this

OK... @LBussy , now I think this is the Clone issue. The one that was working is a UNO Sainsmart, and the other 2 that are now problems are RexQuyalis UNOR3
They did work a few years ago (the Rex ones), so I understand that this is a Version of the software issue
I guess I will go buy some Sainsmart UNO's and this will fix the 2nd running Pi issue?
Now I sound like @day_trippr , with his dozens of Hobby Boxes... LOL
Seriously, how can I get the Rpi Script work with the generic Uno's ?

As a starter, I thought I'd post a couple of things that I've been told are missing. I find it somewhat ironic that some of us spend so much time on these projects and forget simple stuff like "what is it?" Not everyone knows.

A Precise and Friendly Fermentation Controller
BrewPi Remix is a fermentation temperature controller that can monitor and regulate your beer or wine fermentation with 0.1°C precision. It runs on a Raspberry Pi and a microcontroller; currently, an Arduino Uno or an ESP8266. BrewPi Remix offers precise temperature control, data logging, a web interface, and graphs in your browser. All the software is open source.

The Raspberry Pi is a credit card-sized computer that runs Linux. In BrewPi Remix, it runs the webserver and a python script to log data and manage settings. The Arduino and the ESP8266 are microcontroller boards that read the temperature sensors and activates the heating and cooling to control the temperature. You may also use an LCD and knob to display and change settings independent of the web interface.

The controller runs the temperature control algorithm autonomously. If you do not care about data logging, it can control your beer without the Raspberry Pi. The controller is very stable: if the Raspberry Pi crashes, the controller will keep your brew temperature precisely at the setpoint.

The Raspberry Pi runs a local web server that provides an interface to change settings, view brewing data, and configure your controller. The web interface shows interactive graphs of your current brew or previous brews. You can quickly start a new run, view what the control algorithm is doing, check the logs, load or save temperature profiles, edit the active profile, etc.

Instead of just heating when the beer is too cold and cooling when the beer is too warm, BrewPi Remix calculates what the fridge temperature should be to keep your beer temperature in check. This predictive adjustment prevents wide fluctuations in the beer temperature. It's like cruise control for your fermentation.

With BrewPi Remix, you have much more control than just keeping a constant beer temperature: you can define a temperature profile over time. An example of what you can do with a temperature profile:
  • You start at 20°C for 36 hours, right in the middle of the temperature range for your yeast to make it easy for them to start up and multiply.
  • After 36 hours, when your beer is bubbling well, drop the temperature to reduce ester formation with a setting of 17°C for three days.
  • You decide to keep the beer at 17°C for three days, but the fermentation slows down.
  • Yeast is more active at higher temperatures, so you slowly raise it to 22°C over five days: as the yeast consumes more complex sugars, it can do this at a higher temperature.
  • After reaching 22°C, you keep it at that temp for two days for a diacetyl rest, before cold crashing at 3°C.
Using temperature profiles, you can do gradual temperature changes. Yeast is sensitive to sudden temperature changes: a sudden drop in temperature can cause them to drop out of suspension because they need time to adapt to a new set point.

BrewPi Remix also supports cutting-edge brewing technology, including:
Finally, I would like to thank Elco Jacobs (@Elkoe) for having the vision to create BrewPi originally, and for making it open source so that the community could continue working with it after he moved on to new projects.

BrewPi Remix is a revived project, intended to provide precise temperature control for your homebrew, using inexpensive but extremely reliable hardware. It provides a web interface through which you may watch your progress, as well as control the variables. Here's a screenshot:
View attachment 709827
While I work out cleaning up the documentation and website, the documentation is probably the best place to start. If ya want to ask anything, please do so!

Most importantly, here is the only line you need to install BrewPi Remix:
Bash:
curl -L install.brewpiremix.com | sudo bash

And here are some handy links:
Not that you @LBussy have not done enough, but is there any support for the RAPT Pill Hydrometer by Kegland (available in USA only through Aliexpress, due to Patent issues with Tilt)? I love the features of the Pill, as it comes with WiFi and an option to change it to Bluetooth, plus other better features than the Tilt and iSpindle has. Plus a super nice Captive Portal to get the graphs online.
I have 2 Tilts that the signal is so poor in the Conicals, it renders them useless unless I leave an old phone hanging over the tank to see google sheets.
The RAPT Pills I have, also have a poor WiFi signal, after the signal gets cut from the thick Unitank walls. Not sure if a WiFi signal booster would help?
I know @day_trippr also was working on this. Sorry, I can fix your Plumbing, A/C and Furnace, but it has been since 1979 that I did any programming in college. Thanks for all your help with us Ol' Timers hacking away here.....

OK... @LBussy , now I think this is the Clone issue. The one that was working is a UNO Sainsmart, and the other 2 that are now problems are RexQuyalis UNOR3
That will likely handle things.

I guess I will go buy some Sainsmart UNO's and this will fix the 2nd running Pi issue?
Looks like it.

Seriously, how can I get the Rpi Script work with the generic Uno's ?
For now, you cannot. It would require coding changes and without examples here (and the time to do it) it's not really feasible.

Support for the Uno should be in a "sustain-only" mode, since the ESP8266 is at least as capable when using the Serial connection. My only reservation to deprecating the Uno is it is the only solution that does not require soldering.

is there any support for the RAPT Pill Hydrometer by Kegland
No, for two reasons:
  1. The last time I looked theirs was a closed ecosystem (but this may have changed); and
  2. I'm struggling with the moral conundrum of someone essentially cheating a couple of guys who have supported the Homebrew community (and its developers) by selling on a gray market.

As for the problem getting @bloombrews UNO clone to work: check the board to see if there is an Atmel Mega 16U2 chip or not. If there is, the board should present as a legit UNO clone using the 16U2 as a USB to Serial bridge; if not, there's likely a CH340 or CH341 chip - look for that one, and if present, the board will be assigned a different IO device type from an UNO. That in turn requires a config.cfg change...

Cheers!

Ah, that's different. Common usage of that word means "going away" .

Cheers! (and just wait - eventually I'll deploy BPR to my production systems :))

As for the problem getting @bloombrews UNO clone to work: check the board to see if there is an Atmel Mega 16U2 chip or not. If there is, the board should present as a legit UNO clone using the 16U2 as a USB to Serial bridge; if not, there's likely a CH340 or CH341 chip - look for that one, and if present, the board will be assigned a different IO device type from an UNO. That in turn requires a config.cfg change...

Cheers!
It looks like both have the same Chip - Atmel Mega 16UA, the Sainsmart board is working, the RexQualis UNO R3 is not. A second RexQ board I tried has no markings on the chip.
Glad I did not puke the Sainsmart board by trying to take a picture :rolleyes:
20230201_144843.jpg
20230201_145122.jpg

Well that's as close a clone as it gets when they even use the oem pcb design :D
It ought to work!

Cheers!
Here is the only take-a-way I can think of - The REX board I pictured above with the "correct" chip, is now a dead board, the other Rex board with NO markings on the Chip, is a bad knock-off clone and not compatible with the current Script, and the Seinsmart UNO pictured above, is the only board that is working now with the correct chip - Atmel Omega 16 U2
Thanks

OK, back to "BrewTalk"
This is getting even more strange... I found another Seinsmart UNO board and proceeded to see if this second BPRemix would work.
I only see the bottom of the GUI, where you can edit/see your profile, not the upper Graph and Header
I took this card out, put it into the other RPi that is working, Controller also working,and I still only see the bottom of the GUI
The card that was working, I took it and put it into the other RPi , assuming it would fire up and work, but it is stuck on "Can't get version from Controller"
Possibly, all I need to do is Reprogram it, but not sure where the Hex file is to program it under the Maintenance Panel, and I do not know if I can reprogram it from the Terminal Window (dont know the syntax to do it)
Here is what I see now, the first is the half-GUI-screen, and the other is putting a good card into the "newer" RPi and a "newer" Sainsmart UNO -
Maybe just Reprogram the newer Controller ?
Screenshot from 2023-02-02 14-46-28.png
Screenshot from 2023-02-02 14-46-54.png

Last edited:
OK, looks like I am back to same stuck place as yesterday with the Controller that I thought was bad, but I have the "new" Sainsmart UNO I found today. Now I am getting the new downloaded RPR that is stuck in "Script starting up". The working card is back to the good RPi and it is good, finishing up the Jaromir Lager. Here is the stuck, newer download -
Screenshot from 2023-02-02 15-06-02.png

Back