[email protected], no need of RPI and Arduino.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

DuncB

Reaction score
I've wired the brewpiless all up but on the graph screen at the top on left side I have Invalid state

No power is going to either relay. Pretty sure they are wired up okay. Any ideas, I set it to beer constant at 2 celsius.
brewpiless not working.JPG

I've searched around and can't seem to find what this means on any of the brewpiless info. I am using a double SSR as recommended on this forum and have them set up non inverted in the devices.

Last edited:

DuncB

Reaction score
Yup. Remove jumper, put 5V on the 3 pin header side (JVCC) and put 3.3V on the 4 pin header side (VCC).
GNDs are indeed internally connected...

Cheers!
I have now wired up the SSR using this method, it differs from the circuit diagram that is here

Now on devices page I have this
brewpiless devices.JPG

and a red light on the SSR on the side nearest the 4 pin header.

If I change to non inverted for device 2,3,4 the red light moves to near the 3 pin header.

But still no power coming out of either of the two relays.

Could it be my 2 amp powersupply via USB to the USB port on the ESP8266 Lolin MCU?

OP
P

pocketmon

Reaction score
I have now wired up the SSR using this method, it differs from the circuit diagram that is here

Now on devices page I have this

and a red light on the SSR on the side nearest the 4 pin header.

If I change to non inverted for device 2,3,4 the red light moves to near the 3 pin header.

But still no power coming out of either of the two relays.

Could it be my 2 amp powersupply via USB to the USB port on the ESP8266 Lolin MCU?

Are you using SSRs or an Relay Module with usually blue or black blocks?
Usually, you should set "Inverted" for Relay modules, and "non inverted" for SSR.

Try connect direct from 3V3 and the GND to the input of the SSR or relay module, and see if it "clicks".
Measure the voltage of the output PINs.

That's all I can suggest.

day_trippr

Get the shot ffs! Sheesh!
Reaction score
What does the main gui page say? Is it set to "do something" or is it set to "Off"?

Cheers!

DuncB

Reaction score
Are you using SSRs or an Relay Module with usually blue or black blocks?
Usually, you should set "Inverted" for Relay modules, and "non inverted" for SSR.
Thanks for the reply I'm using the blue block one and have them set to inverted.

I haven't heard any clicks at any stage, when you say connect 3v3 and ground is that direct from the esp8266 to which bit of the blue block relay ie bit with 4 pins or the three pin bit?
I first set it up with the jumper on the three pin bit and 3.3 going to the VCC on the 4 pin as per the vitotai instructions I linked to above.

Then I removed the jumper and put 3.3 to the JVCC on the three pins and connected the 5V from the esp8266 to the VCC on the 4 pins. I didn't connect another ground to the ground on the 3 pins as @day_trippr had said they were connected grounds between the 4 and 3 pins.
No better so I then connected a ground as a later post by @LBussy did say to connect ground.

The fact that the chamber cooler and chamber fan devices both say they are active suggests to me that the esp is sending the signal but the relay can't action it due either to a lack of voltage perhaps or a wiring error, but I can't see a wiring error.

I have put a multimeter on the 240v side and have power coming in ie live on input and at the middle of each 3 terminals that i have connected that live to on the relays the com 1 and com 2
My lives to the devices are screwed into the terminals to the left of these when you look from the blue block side ( the NO1 and NO2 terminals).

So it appears that the relays aren't doing there thing.

I was using the pin that said Vin 5V from bottom left of the esp8266 as my source of 5V assuming it had power from the usb, but no power on this with multimeter. I think that means I would put 5 V into this if I wasn't using the usb to power the board, so i'm not supplying 5V to the relay only 3.3 and it's not working.

I'll use a separate 5 V power supply and put that onto the JVCC and use the ground from that power supply , and use the 3.3 from the esp onto the VCC of the 4 pins and a ground from the esp.

Might be onto something here.

Is a 5V 1.0 amp powersupply enough to run the relay?

Last edited:

DuncB

Reaction score
What does the main gui page say? Is it set to "do something" or is it set to "Off"?

Cheers!
Many things come up
have attached a screen grab of what I think is the main GUI page

line across the bottom light blue waiting to cool comes up top right corner ( where idle is in this grab ), darker blue cooling, gap is idle and grey is waiting to peak , so I think the logic is all working.
brewpiless and spindle.JPG

Last edited:

day_trippr

Reaction score
Yeah, ok, that's garbled enough to explain the "INVALID STATE" flag.
Gonna have to defer to actual BPL users on this one...

DuncB

Reaction score
Thanks @day_trippr
Am I still okay to try a separate 5 V 1.0 amp power supply onto JVCC and use the ground from that powersupply onto the ground ( where the 3 pins are).
Then use the 3.3 V out from esp8266 to VCC on the 4 pins and use a ground from the esp?

As mentioned by you in a previous post?

day_trippr

Reaction score
If you are using an esp, the IO are all 3.3V, so yes you should use the scheme I recommended above.

Cheers!

DuncB

Reaction score
@day_trippr and @pocketmon

Developments,

I plugged in a separate 5 V to the JVCC and ground.
Plugged 3.3 V into the VCC on the 4 connectors and grounded that.

Turned on the power supplies and not much happened. Then after waiting to cool I heard a click and then a red light came on the Relay.
Tested the outputs and no joy, felt pretty disappointed. Then tested with voltmeter and found no live power at all on that side of the relay.
The penny dropped and I plugged in the Mains and bingo I had power at the cool plug.

Thanks for your help, the issue was insufficient volts to the relay.

The next one I build will be much easier!!

DuncB

Reaction score
Just as a tweak could i wire it so one 5V psu powered the relay and the ESP ( ie not use the usb socket on it for power but that 5V in) or would that be tantamount to crossing the streams as in Ghostbusters?

day_trippr

Reaction score
That would actually be how most folks have used Arduinos to control the same relay modules over the years, so yes, that should work...

Cheers!

troyp42

Reaction score
So today my device started going into a reboot mode where it restarts and says initializing wifi then displays the current temp etc. If I try to open its GUI in my browser I can see the main page but if I try to change the temperature it just hangs and causes the unit to reboot again but I cant get it to accept and keep the temperature change. Could this be a power supply issue or a problem with the ESP?

troyp42

Reaction score
So today my device started going into a reboot mode where it restarts and says initializing wifi then displays the current temp etc. If I try to open its GUI in my browser I can see the main page but if I try to change the temperature it just hangs and causes the unit to reboot again but I cant get it to accept and keep the temperature change. Could this be a power supply issue or a problem with the ESP?
Anyone? @Thorrak

OP
P

pocketmon

Reaction score
Both could be possible. WiFi operation drains more power and might crash the system when power supply is not enough.
Try formatting the filesystem if you can. It might help on software's issue.

troyp42

Reaction score
Both could be possible. WiFi operation drains more power and might crash the system when power supply is not enough.
Try formatting the filesystem if you can. It might help on software's issue.
How do I format the file system?

Also a few months back I posted about my screen showing scrambled digits every so often. Lbussy said it may need a refserh script built into the software? Is this something you can add? Am I the only one getting this issue etc? Thanks for the help.

troyp42

Reaction score
How do I format the file system?

Also a few months back I posted about my screen showing scrambled digits every so often. Lbussy said it may need a refserh script built into the software? Is this something you can add? Am I the only one getting this issue etc? Thanks for the help.
@pocketmon ??

OP
P

pocketmon

Reaction score

The LCD refreshing code has been there since the beginning. However, it didn't work because of a typo. It's fixed in 4.2pre, which is currently under test.