Brewpastor on Brewstrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I was listening through podcasts today when I heard the voice of a familiar member around here. The topic of the Wort Aeration show was submitted by him and he even called in. Link to the podcast is here.

Good broadcast. It backs up info I just came across recently at:

http://blog.flaminio.net/blogs/index.php/beer/oxygen/081408-wort-aeration

This guy Mike has done a number of experiments on wort oxygenation with a dissolved O2 meter, and has come to the conclusion that the best way to achieve consistent oxygenation of 12 ppm is to give the fermenter's headspace a 1-2 second shot of 5 PSI oxygen, and stir for 30 seconds using a paint stirrer.

This not only looks to be a super efficient usage of oxygen, but also very fast. He also claims that using an oxygen stone yields very inconsistent results for the amount of dissolved oxygen. All in all a very interesting read.

The Brewstrong guys also mention that the whole point is to put O2 in the headspace and mix thoroughly, and the blog provides the numbers of exactly how much O2, and how long to mix to get 12 ppm. Nice. :rockin:

Back