Brewmasters Warehouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is old and dead but I was working putting together two recipes today at ritebrew.com. The total for grains, hops and yeast was $69. The shipping comes to $23. At BMW, I got a great shipping discount. I'm not getting that at ritebrew. Is there a code that I may have missed?

You may be right. They used UPS and UPS is headquartered here in Atlanta. I think he got a deal. I know they could not get supplies to stock their shelves or fill orders. Cash flow and working capital were not one of their strong points. There are still other suppliers who offer flat rate shipping. The $23 is not such a horrible thing. It is the fact that it is >1/3 the cost of my order. I still like to purchase a complete grain bill in one package and mill it myself. Ritebrew does that so, I'll just go with it.

Austin Homebrew has flat rate shipping and allows for grain bill to be put together in one bag.

He abandoned the business to focus on a family emergency from which he never recovered. Without leadership, everything collapsed.

Totally agree. The last few times I did business with them, there was always something that would go out of stock, after I made my order.

When they had their A game going, they were great. I really hate hearing the doors are officially shut. I'll miss the brew builder.

It will be cool to have BrewBuilder back, though I haven't used it in years because of the problems with delivery.

I am also fascinated at the consolidation we are seeing in the homebrew supply world. Northern and Midwestern merged, then AIH bought AHB, and now this.

It will be cool to have BrewBuilder back, though I haven't used it in years because of the problems with delivery.

I am also fascinated at the consolidation we are seeing in the homebrew supply world. Northern and Midwestern merged, then AIH bought AHB, and now this.

But meanwhile dozens of others open each year??? Including one in Texas that became a vendor on HBT last week........

I'll miss the brew builder.

Homebrew Supply has a pretty good Brew Builder-type function on their site. Don't know how it compares to BMWH, as I never used it, but HBS's worked great when I placed my last order.

http://www.homebrewsupply.com/recipe-builder

Pretty sure it was developed by the same guys that did Brewer's Friend.

Including one in Texas that became a vendor on HBT last week........

Yes, that one. I think.

It will be cool to have BrewBuilder back

I also thought BrewBuilder was a nice feature. The main reason I find BrewBuilder's acquisition by Northern Brewer exciting is that it must mean that NB will allow incremental grain purchases. I like being able to buy the exact amount of grain I need for a recipe...especially if I am going to be adding 6 oz of this and 3 oz of that, etc. That is the primary reason I have been buying from other suppliers since I moved to AG.

Homebrew Supply has a pretty good Brew Builder-type function on their site. Don't know how it compares to BMWH, as I never used it, but HBS's worked great when I placed my last order.

http://www.homebrewsupply.com/recipe-builder

Pretty sure it was developed by the same guys that did Brewer's Friend.

Yes, that one. I think.

I looked at this. I couldn't find out about ordering ingredients, because I did not want to log in. It is a very simplified recipe builder.

I use Beersmith and buy my ingredients in bulk so any of these design and order ingredient sites don't suit me.

Going to have to check it out once it hits NB. I'm currently buying from AIH (who allows for incremental purchasing) - but I've been frustrated by the fact that if Im buying for multiple recipes those ingredients get lumped together (I.e. if I buy three recipes that need Biscuit malt I end up w/ those three lumped together and maybe I've forgotten which brews it was intended for.) With the brew builder I would lump all the grains I needed into one basket and get them all packaged together, easy!

I'll also check out these other sites. I generally just need specialty grains.

He needs to take that money that he got from Northern Brewer and pay back the people who placed orders that he never filled.

He won't, but he should.

....- but I've been frustrated by the fact that if Im buying for multiple recipes those ingredients get lumped together (I.e. if I buy three recipes that need Biscuit malt I end up w/ those three lumped together and maybe I've forgotten which brews it was intended for.........

You must buy your grain already milled. I don't buy mine milled, but couldn't just weigh out the crushed grain?

So what about the BMWH building? Does NB also plan to expand and have a site in the southeast? Man, that would be great if they did. I'm glad to hear they have acquired Brewbuilder. Any chance that the recipe database will also be included?

So, am I reading that right? Adventures in Homebrewing now owns Austin HomeBrew? Wow!

You must buy your grain already milled. I don't buy mine milled, but couldn't just weigh out the crushed grain?

Not always - like I said I'm buying specialty grains (because I buy my base malts and hops bulk.) I could/can/do what you mentioned, but for me its more of a "****, what did I need to get together for this brew?" - dig through 12 small bags of specialty grains, etc. etc. It can get pretty scattered.

With the brew builder they would compile my weighed grains, and label the bag with the brew name. Like I said, easy.

Dumb question but does anyone know what size the giant ziploc bags they used to send were? I used to use them to give grain to a coworker who had a relative with chickens and wanted to try to source some!

So what about the BMWH building? Does NB also plan to expand and have a site in the southeast? Man, that would be great if they did. I'm glad to hear they have acquired Brewbuilder. Any chance that the recipe database will also be included?

So, am I reading that right? Adventures in Homebrewing now owns Austin HomeBrew? Wow!

Yeah, that would be awesome, they could hire Ed as manager and he can run another home-brew store into the ground.

As it is, I think they are taking a gamble with purchasing the Brewbuilder software package as it probably comes with Ed as back-end support....good luck with that.

Dumb question but does anyone know what size the giant ziploc bags they used to send were? I used to use them to give grain to a coworker who had a relative with chickens and wanted to try to source some!

They used to heat seal my bags of grain.

But maybe something like this is what your looking for??

Last edited by a moderator:
They used to heat seal my bags of grain.

But maybe something like this is what your looking for??

They would seal the grain bag, but any other odds and ends would be in a big ziploc, though not as big as the one linked.. Maybe it was like a 2 or 2.5 gal. It's definitely not 1 gallon. I even asked them once if they could send me a few extra and they did. The chickens thanked them!

Last edited by a moderator:
They would seal the grain bag, but any other odds and ends would be in a big ziploc, though not as big as the one linked.. Maybe it was like a 2 or 2.5 gal. It's definitely not 1 gallon. I even asked them once if they could send me a few extra and they did. The chickens thanked them!

I'm guessing they came from place like U-line, that sells things like boxes, bags, etc.

I'm also guessing you in your profile pic are standing in front of Doyles in JP.

I really liked the heat sealed grain bags. It kept grain fresher. NB just puts a twist tie around theirs. Also the large zip lock bags were great and I have kept them for storing misc items. As another responder said, check with U Line.

NB 1 pound Maillard Malts bags are ziploc probably heat sealed.
282x374xmaillard_malts_malted_brewing_grain_package.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EtzOHc4Sqs.jpg

Thanks for that advice on uline, I'll just have to figure out how big of a bag I want now :)

And the picture has been awhile.. Either at the pub or at Sam Adams brewery, we took the shuttle between the two.

I stand partially corrected. An order from Northern Brewer arrived yesterday. The three specialty malts came in 1 pound Maillard bags, but the 6 pounds of Golden Promise came in a twisted plastic bag taped shut inside another plastic bag.

Back