Brewmaster grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snail

Reaction score
What do they use to get their "signature" crush so many people talk about?

You could email them and find out.... they usually respond pretty quickly

Yeah I realized that after I posted. Plus I had a question on an order so...

In case anyone is wondering, it is a Crankandstein 328D with a gap of .035"

Yes we use the 328D for our crush, now. In the past we used a Barley Crusher, and then we used a 3D with a .035" gap. I will say that the CrankandStein mills are very high quality mills. The 3 rollers keep the husks in tact while allowing you to get a good crush on the grains. As Don the owner of CrankandStein says "These mills are not toys they are high precision pieces of equipment." I know our mill alone weighs around 30 lbs.

Ed

Do you guys have a pulley setup or use a drill?

We use a pulley setup with a big old high torque motor. We used to use a drill in the past though and had good results with it. There were a few reasons we switched to the larger mill and the motor/pulley setup. 1. The drill was loud in the store, so when we opened up for retail customers we needed a quieter solution. 2. The smaller mills knurl on the rollers wears out too fast for us. Not a big deal for an individual since we crush more in a day than most people do in a year. 3. We wanted to be able to crush faster. Our new mill crushes at over 26 lbs a minute, and has a 50 lb.+ hopper attached to it.

We powered the 3D, and Barley Crushers will a drill.

Ed

We use a pulley setup with a big old high torque motor. We used to use a drill in the past though and had good results with it. There were a few reasons we switched to the larger mill and the motor/pulley setup. 1. The drill was loud in the store, so when we opened up for retail customers we needed a quieter solution. 2. The smaller mills knurl on the rollers wears out too fast for us. Not a big deal for an individual since we crush more in a day than most people do in a year. 3. We wanted to be able to crush faster. Our new mill crushes at over 26 lbs a minute, and has a 50 lb.+ hopper attached to it.

We powered the 3D, and Barley Crushers will a drill.

Ed

WOW! That mill is a beast! Badass :rockin:

Whatever it is, I like it. I got ~77.5% efficiency with 15 pounds of grains and a single batch sparge.

Yeah me too! I'm still figuring out my all-grain system and find my self ordering less grain each time to account for the great efficiency I've been getting.

Yes we use the 328D for our crush, now. In the past we used a Barley Crusher, and then we used a 3D with a .035" gap. I will say that the CrankandStein mills are very high quality mills. The 3 rollers keep the husks in tact while allowing you to get a good crush on the grains. As Don the owner of CrankandStein says "These mills are not toys they are high precision pieces of equipment." I know our mill alone weighs around 30 lbs.

Ed
I can definitely see buying this for an operation like yours, but I think I'll fo the cheaper $150 for my personal one when the time comes because, like you said, I'll crush less in a year than you do in an afternoon.

Whatever it is, I like it. I got ~77.5% efficiency with 15 pounds of grains and a single batch sparge.

Ditto, BMWs crush jumped my efficiency from 70%-75+% from the retailer I used before.

Back